lisaac

Eglu Go and unwanted night time visitor

Hello, I have an Eglu Go for my two mini lops. They have been really happy in it, but just this last week a fox has been paying them nightly visits. The second time he made quite a racket and woke me, so I was able to chase him off. My buns are thankfully fine, and the Go has not sustained any damage. He did manage to (somehow) snag their plastic tunnel and I found a lot of it chewed in pieces around my garden. And he destroyed their water bottle (I have a back up on the run). I've discovered the fox has been jumping onto the top of the run and has clawed/bitten the cover - so minor, replaceable damage only. No digging or scratching. I've read that once a fox finds you have rabbits he will be back every night until he finds a way to get them :( I'm now bringing my buns in at night! I will put them out only for the day time and I'm going to buy extra clips to strengthen the run as I feel he is testing it for weakness. Has anyone else had a fox attack their Eglu? Any suggestions re deterrent or how I can fox-proof my set up? I can't make them permanent house bunnies as we also have 2 elderly cats and one of them is quite put out by the bunnies and likes to spray!!!

I'm sorry to hear you have become prey to a fox. I lost my chickens to a fox a couple of months ago and was completely terrified for my guinea pigs as he was back night after night. You could try spraying Scoot

http://foxrepellentexpert.com/review-scoot-fox-repellent/

Not sure if that link will work, but google scoot fox repellant. I am currently spraying that every couple of days. It doesn't get brilliant reviews but the wildlife management company we spoke to said it is because people spray once and expect it to work. If you spray every couple of days and always after heavy rainfall it optimises it.

We also will use electric netting or fencing if we decide to restock our chickens not cheap but the only definite deterrent.

I'm sorry to hear you have become prey to a fox. I lost my chickens to a fox a couple of months ago and was completely terrified for my guinea pigs as he was back night after night. You could try spraying Scoot

http://foxrepellentexpert.com/review-scoot-fox-repellent/

Not sure if that link will work, but google scoot fox repellant. I am currently spraying that every couple of days. It doesn't get brilliant reviews but the wildlife management company we spoke to said it is because people spray once and expect it to work. If you spray every couple of days and always after heavy rainfall it optimises it.

We also will use electric netting or fencing if we decide to restock our chickens not cheap but the only definite deterrent.

There's a few other repellant suggestions here

http://www.pocketfarm.co.uk/fox-pop-your-five-most-popular-fox-deterrents/

I've been told that the urine one works but have never tried it, I have to say. Having two male greyhounds probably has the same effect, as we've never had one in the garden although we back onto fields and they are definitely around.