Janepie33

Mozzie problem

Every night OH and I are bitten by mozzies. We assumed they were coming from the pond in the front of the house (our bedroom overlooks the pond) so we shut the windows at night and spray the room with mozzie killer before we go to sleep but we are STILL being bitten! :shock::?

I have looked at endless photos of bites from mozzies, fleas, bedbugs and a whole host of other biting insects and still think they are mozzie bites. Doesn't help that OH seems to be highly allergic and covers himself from head to toe in calamine lotion, to stop the itching, every night! :lol:

Anyone else had similar problems? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'd try one of the plug in mosquito killers (liquid based) as you can leave them on all the time. It's a bit of an old wives tale but eating Marmite works for me, I can't remember the last time I got bitten, but our son who doesn't eat it does get bitten a lot! You can also get ultrasonic repellers, but I've never tried those.

We have those liquid killers, but they don't work 100%. In fact the only repellent I know which truly works is deet, but it's nasty powerful stuff. 2 separate sets of friends swear by Avon's Skin So Soft but it didn't work for me. Some people are more attractive to the little blighters. I use tiger balm to take away the itches but again it's powerful, though not toxic. Just clean your hands extra thoroughly it would sting like crazy on sensitive bits.

They sell a fabulous thing here called a Dapi Stick - a little tube of oily stuff that you put on bites, & I swear the itch just goes. It is available online.

I am also a big fan of Avons skin so soft, which is proven to keep the little gits at bay!

Can you put mozzie screens up on your windows, or have a net around the bed maybe? Both are common practice here obviously.

Do you have cats? It could be fleas maybe, unless you have seen the Mozzies of course.