Luvachicken

To get a wood burner or not ?

Very jealous, but I look forward to seeing your pics once its all in and lit.

We did a bit of diy at home yesterday. Remove a fake arch which badly mirrored a real one on the other side of our chimney breast. Whilst removing it some of the plaster came off the chimney breast and it is brick! The plan now will be to remove all the plaster and treat the brick so its not dusty etc when we get ready to do our woodburner. Hopefully by this time next year :dance:

All done :dance:

It's looking very smart but sadly we can't light it properly until tomorrow :(

Apparently we have to wait for all the cement and 'stuff' behind it to dry.

It has been very chilly in the house all day because they needed to have the front door open and there was no point in having the heating on. Thank goodness I was working at school for part of the day.

Bluekarin, try to order what you would like long before the weather turns and before the rush of Christmas.

Someone was in our fire shop on Saturday and asked if it could be done before Christmas :shock:

You will get through a fair amount of wood we get through a load and a half per winter. The guy that we use delivers in an open backed big 4 x 4 farm vehicle and the back is usually fairly domed to give you an idea of volume and each loads costs about £130.

If once the fire is burning well you turn down the top vent until it’s just still making a noise and flames are still rising it will burn more slowly. Don’t turn it down too far though or the gases build up inside and it can blow the flu seals and will make the glass very dirty. On the subject of the glass don’t buy expensive glass cleaner just use screwed up newspaper dipped in water then into the wood ash and polish clean with the dry side of the paper works much better and is far less toxic.

Enjoy :D

Sorry, I haven't looked through the entire thread but we have a 1930s semi and always fancied a real fire but thought a gas powered type fire was our only option. We got a sweep to check our chimney and he suggested just lighting a fire. The chimney is in good condition and he made us run out to see the broom poking out the top. He said it's the only proof that he's done his job, he was a very funny bloke. Loves beer and Game of Thrones. He did a camera thing and checked it thoroughly. My favourite job is clearing out yesterdays fire and laying a new fire for the evening. It's so nice and I've got a bit geeky about how to lay a good fire!

So we now have a lovely roaring fire, slightly difficult because we live in a smokeless zone but it's do~able.

Actually, Homebase do competitively priced smokeless fuel.

We tried the coloured pine cones over Christmas and really enjoyed them.

Glad you have a real fire patsylabrador :D

Today was the perfect day for lighting it and this kind of day was the reason I wanted one.

It was so nice to light it soon after I got in from work at lunch time and have it cheering up a miserable afternoon.

Hubby gives the glass a good clean and then sets the fire up for later.

Will have to see if Lakeland has the pine cones on offer but I couldn't find them on their web site.