Luvachicken

To get a wood burner or not ?

I was just wondering how much hassle - or not - having a wood burner or similar is ?

At the moment we just have a little electric fan heater in our fireplace with pretend flames behind a screen and some 'coal' but I'm wondering about something real. What we have looks nice enough especially on dark evenings but I would like the sound of a real crackle and a bit of warmth.

How messy are wood burners once they have finished and how do you clean them after ?

I'm not even sure our fireplace / chimney is up to the job which is why we have what we have but I thought I'd see what you all think before we head off to any fireplace shops.

Promise i'm not stalking you Luvachicken. ...

Do it, ours is great (when we can get anywhere near it through the piles of cats & dogs), nothing like it on a dark winter's night. Not a great deal of mess to deal with, odd bit of split ash etc. They have an ash pan in the bottom, just pull it out once cold and chuck the ash in a bucket, then put it in your chickens' dust bath :) you should have a chimney liner put in, if your chimney is not the best it will make it safe. Hubby & I installed our own (then had it signed off), he got up on the roof & pulled the liner attached to a rope whilst I shoved from inside the living room. We got a Hunter Sonderskoven - great stove (it's multifunctional but we just burn wood generally).

Promise i'm not stalking you Luvachicken. ...

:lol::lol:

Thanks for the reply.

Our chimney is rubbish :(

We once had a chimney sweep come and he only used 3 poles before his brush popped out at the top :shock:

We would have a HETAS fitter who could hopefully stick some kind of new chimney inside and above ours.

Even inside the fireplace is mank. I'm not sure what someone could do about that.

I too love my wood burner. In our last house we had multi burner, small square one.We took the fire surround away and replastered wall. We then got a hearth made and the stove sort of sat half in the gap in the wall, if you can picture that. We then had a lovely reclaimed oak beam put up like a mantle shelf. I liked it as a shovel or two of smokeless coal kept it in all night and it kept family room and kitchen toasty warm. We now have one of the modern tall Scandinavian looking modern wood burner. Heat output is high but it is odd in that you can’t rattle down ash without having door open which means nearby windows and TV are covered in a fine layer of ash all winter. There is of course cleaning out every so often but burning wood alone makes less ash. I wouldn’t be without it as I love that type of heat as I find radiators give a very dry atmosphere. We seldom use radiators when fire let,just leave doors open and heat goes out into rest of house.

Luvachicken, we went up to a place near Ludlow Castle - it's a whole house that is a showroom for wood burning stoves.

It's well worth a trip to have a look around - we found them extremely helpful and our next house will definitely have one and we'll be getting it/them from this company. The glass I remember my mum scrubbing away with a Brillo pad in days of yore - these are different and stay clean (apparently) - and one of the reasons why I didn't want one. Another reason was we went to a cottage for a week with a stove - no heat in spite of the fire. This place was totally different and I changed my mind about them. These were blooming good!

http://www.clearviewstoves.com/ludlow

I love mine and wouldn't be without it, it's one of the best value-for-money things I've ever bought although it is quite an expense. A HETAS fitter will advise on your chimney, there is almost nowhere that you can't have a woodburner as you can have a separate flue if there's no chimney. The chimney will need to be swept and lined first.

Tips I was given: don't get one that's too big. You'll get advice on what you need for the size of the room, but don't be tempted to go large, because they need to be full and running hot to be most efficient - you can't run a small fire in a large one, if you see what I mean.

Also, consider log size. I had to have the smallest size there is due to the size of my fireplace, it takes 12" logs. Larger ones take 13" or more ... doesn't sound like much, until you are cutting them up and then it makes quite a difference if you can cut longer pieces! You may be planning to buy your wood ready cut of course.

Think about wood storage; have you got somewhere you can make a log pile? I keep mine on one wall of the garage, but you can have them outside as long as you've got something to keep the rain off. Will you buy wood in or 'womble' it (beware of painted or stained wood though)?

It is easy to clean, doesn't make much mess, I get more mess from the log basket which is always shedding dust and spiders! :lol: Oh, and re the glass - yes, they are all 'clean burn' these days, but you will get the occasional flare up of smoke on the glass. Wet some kitchen roll, dip it in some (cold!) wood ash and rub it on the glass, it will clean it easily and without the need for anything abrasive. No need for expensive glass cleaning stuff which I have seen on sale.

It's like having a bonfire in your living room, for those who understand the joys of bonfires; visiting men cannot resist poking and prodding ('ooh, it's burning down, shall I put another log on?') and it disposes of my confidential waste, roasts chestnuts and can even boil a kettle. Have I sold it to you? :lol:

I love our wood burner :D it makes the room cosy in a way central heating can't. Our fireplace was a mess, so it was lined in a heat resistant liner that was painted charcoal grey before the burner was fitted, looks very smart. It was quite expensive to get the whole lot fitted but worth it.

It is important to think about output, we have quite a high output stove as we have downstairs configured so it's quite open plan and heat goes up the stairs as well. We've had to have quite a few trees down in our garden so have masses of wood, do scavenge wood and get a decent log store in your garden, it's surprising how much wood you can finding when you have a burner.

As we use it so much I've just treated myself to an ash vacumn cleaner, as it's only used for that the ash will continue to go in the compost. Bit extravagant but I was managing to get ash on the rug in front of the fireplace when I emptied the ash pan and this makes it much easier.

Oh no Willow. Omlet strikes again,another thing I never heard of and didn’t know I needed/wanted. I wonder would OH like one for Christmas :whistle:

They sell those ash hoovers at Lakeland if that helps :lol:

Thank you everyone for all of your help :clap:

We are going to a show room in Alton on Saturday armed with photos and details :D

Valkyrie MIL used to live near Ludlow so that would have been good but she has since moved.

Not sure Hubby would want to go all that way for a wood burner.

Mind you, we did do a day trip to Yorkshire for a new kitchen :shock::lol::lol:

I love our wood burner. We had it installed 10 years ago and it’s the best investment ever. We went for a multi fuel stove but we use it just for wood without the grate and ash tray because wood burns better on an ash bed. We did have the grate in it for a while when we struggled to get dry wood one winter but didn’t like the smokeless fuel and didn’t find that it gave off as much heat. Finding a good source of dry logs can be difficult and don’t let anyone fob you off with green newly felled logs logs need to dry for around 2 years after felling to be clean good burning fire wood. You will get through a lot if you light it daily so a good store is vital and they are much cheaper to buy in bulk.

It’s not a cheap business buying a good stove and having one installed properly. We paid 2.5k 10 years ago which included having the chimney lined the old fireplace removed and a bigger hole made in the wall which was also lined and a new hearth put in. Well worth it though, the only maintenance that we have is a yearly check and chimney sweep and we replace the door seal rope each year. We have replaced the door glass once because it got scratched from cleaning it. I use the wet paper and wood ash method too. They can get dirty if you shut them right down but if you burn them hot they keep pretty clean as does the chimney. You do get wood ash and bits from the logs around the fire not great for clean freaks not a problem for me :wink:

Because we had invested in warmth for the winter we then invested in cool for the summer last year by having an air conditioner installed in our bedroom not quite as costly but just as welcome. Home comfort is so nice to have :D

I would! We have been after one for years, but as we were in rented we couldn't do it. But now we have a chimney!! so we will be getting one as soon as we can afford one. I love them. My sil and bil have one and its just bliss to watch in the evening. Our living room is not huge so I think we will get a 4kw one. I was after black cast iron one, but after seeing Cinnamons beautiful French one, I am not so sure :think:

I'm the same as Olly - had mine for 20+ years and wouldn't be without it in terms of free heat. I get all my wood free and saw/chop it (which also keeps you warm). I don't have my house hot anyway, but hits has halved my gas consumption 8)

My house is an old Victorian one, so the flue has been lined and there's a cowl on top. A friend is a chimney sweep, so he sweeps my flue and services the stove once a year. I don't find it dirty at all, but then I'm not a minimalist, spick and span type of person.

If your chimney doesn't work, or you don't have one, then you might be able to have an external flue.

We have been thinking about getting a wood burner for a while.

We are now the proud owners of lovely wood burner. We have had it for two weeks now and we are thrilled with it. We had an open fire but this is far better and seems to be much more efficient.

Shame you are not local as we were advised to visit a shop between Melton Mowbray and Nottingham. The girl we saw was so helpful and knowledgable. We left having decided upon a completely different stove to the one we thought we wanted. Also found a good fitter who advised on changes to the fireplace and chimney.

If you would like to know more about our experience please pm me.

Chrissie

They are more efficient Chrissie; I was once quoted the 80/20 rule; with an open fire, 80% of the heat disappears up the chimney and 20% radiates into the room. With a burner, 80% is radiated into the room by the cast iron of the stove and only 20% is lost up the flue. Probably not the most accurate of stats, but it illustrates the concept.

I narrowed down my search online, then visited a local forge, which had a few stoves on display, which you could play with. I decided on the model I wanted and then found the cheapest one in a place in Rugby.

Hi :D

Woodburner owner here as well. One in the living room , so easy to use and maintain so we installed another in the kitchen.

We burn bought in logs, a mixture of soft wood and hard wood and compressed sawdust logs. Sawdust logs can be bought from Home Bargins in 10kg packs or delivered by the pallet load, 93 packs per pallet I think. The sawdust logs need a dry place to be stored. Home Bargins also sell kindling and firefighters at good prices.

My local Lidl had ash vacuum cleaners for sale yesterday, think they cost 29 pounds.

There is an 8 page discussion on woodburners on page 6 in the Green Living part of the forum which you might find helpful.

I don't think you will find many woodburner owners regretting their decision :D

We have an open fire and a burner and the burner is definitely more efficient, tho the fire is more exciting and you can grill on it too, though you can also cook on many wood burners as well depending on type. My advice would be to shop around for a fitter, prices vary dramatically and make sure they know what they are doing with the flue/chimney liner, we have had a chimney fire and it was sheer luck we noticed it early before the house burnt down or worse. For the same reason get the chimney swept regularly.

I also spent many years lighting fires without fire lighters (twice the iPad has corrected this to firefighters....oh to have your own!), but I have been converted, they enable you to get it going much more easily :D

Before long you will be joining the ranks of us who can't go for a walk without paying close attention to wood wombling opportunities :lol:

Well, yesterday was very informative.

The first place we went to said we could keep our original fire surround and fit an inset wood burner :dance:

The second place we went to was a waste of time .....

And the third place said that you couldn't have our fire surround with any wood burner because the wood would eventually catch fire and our granite would crack :shock:

The third place was very good. The guy was extremely knowledgeable and very enthusiastic.

We will need a new fire surround, wood burner, a giant chimney pot - to make our chimney taller - with a cover and wire over the top, a silver liner thing, AND a whole load of money.

The sad thing is I really like my fire surround and how the granite sparkles when the sun is shining on it, but then, having seen the real fire in action yesterday it was really quite lovely.

One of their chaps is coming tomorrow to work out what needs doing and to give us a quote.

Thanks again for all the extra thoughts on the wood burner and for the info on the Green pages of the forum :D

Yes, it was the distance from the top of the wood burner to our wood that is the problem.

He demonstrated on the one we might get, which has Portuguese Limestone, how hot everything gets.

Apparently our fire surround is made specifically for an electric fan fire which is what we have and it is not designed for something else.