Hi all. I’ve had a look through other posts and found a few bits but nothing that directly answers the question...my second hand Cube is leaking really badly. I don’t think it was like it when I first had it, or maybe the weather wasn’t so bad for the first winter, but the end of the nest box nearest the run is REALLY wet. At the moment there’s not much Easichick in there because no eggs are happening but what is there is completely wet through. It’s also wet in the outside tray but I’m not so bothered about that because it doesn’t affect the chooks. It does mean that the bit of the run under the Cube gets quite wet though.

Has anyone else got / had this problem and been able to do anything about it?

I'm amazed how much tree rubbish collects in the roof slots of the cube.

Maybe you have something in that part of the cube that sends the water down to the nest box instead of it trickling down to the drainage holes ?

I know pine needles do that on our conservatory roof :evil:

If not, maybe the wind has just blown the rain in at angles that it wouldn't normally get in ?

Not sure what else to suggest though, sorry.

Thanks DM. I skipped out all the wet easichick bedding after work today and will be cleaning out the gutters tomorrow so I’ll give Omlet a call then. It had the rubber bits when I think they’ve all perished so that could be the problem.

That's interesting.

I cleaned mine out yesterday - in the brief bit of sunshine - and the aubiose in the nest box was damp underneath.

Now I've thought about it, it was damp underneath when I cleaned them out the last time too.

I'm going to check the rubber bits tomorrow.

I know they are fine at the back end of the cube, they are still nice rubber there, but have no idea what goes on at the other end.

Rubber bits look fine, gutters are clear, next thing is to check it’s level - it looks ok but it is possible that the slabs I laid have settled. I cant work out whether the water’s coming in through the egg port or somewhere else but it’s properly wet.

If I can’t sort it out I might make a cover out of the old, holey tarpaulin I’ve just taken off the run.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:56 PM, mullethunter said:

Rubber bits look fine, gutters are clear, next thing is to check it’s level - it looks ok but it is possible that the slabs I laid have settled. I cant work out whether the water’s coming in through the egg port or somewhere else but it’s properly wet.

If I can’t sort it out I might make a cover out of the old, holey tarpaulin I’ve just taken off the run.

@mullethunter have you ever got this sorted? My dad has a second hand Cube and is finding the nesting box very wet too. Trying to get him some good advice over a distance.

Not really no. When it’s going to be really wet for a long time I put a tarpaulin over that half of the Cube so that less rain runs down into the door. It does make it a lot better but it’s not a great solution.

2 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

I had this a few years ago and Omlet sent me a free pack of extreme weather rubber thingy’s.  

Could you post a photo of them please and do they work?

They are just rubber flange thingies which fit in the gaps where water might get in.   There were two sets.  One I fitted but took out when I had a bad bout of redmite.  I stripped everything liable to be a hiding place!  Until then they stopped water under the trays.   There’s a spare unused kit somewhere.  I saw it recently.... be back .... in a minute.... or two...... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2018 at 10:26 AM, mullethunter said:

Hi all. I’ve had a look through other posts and found a few bits but nothing that directly answers the question...my second hand Cube is leaking really badly. I don’t think it was like it when I first had it, or maybe the weather wasn’t so bad for the first winter, but the end of the nest box nearest the run is REALLY wet. At the moment there’s not much Easichick in there because no eggs are happening but what is there is completely wet through. It’s also wet in the outside tray but I’m not so bothered about that because it doesn’t affect the chooks. It does mean that the bit of the run under the Cube gets quite wet though.

Has anyone else got / had this problem and been able to do anything about it?

The aubiose in my poop trays has been wet lately, especially the tray that is more in the middle. And I'm sure the other day, the nest box was a bit damp too.

It just keeps raining and blowing, I think that's how it gets in.

Getting really fed up of the weather now.

The only bit of sun we had was yesterday, and I was at school all day.