Had to say goodbye to Phosphorus yesterday. He was declining a bit over the past weeks. Being less active and looking a bit scruffy. Then Thursday night he was really grumpy and looking rather disorientated. Friday morning he looked like he had a brain hemorage. Just walking around the bottom of the cage, not responding to much. Called the vet, but by the time I could go, he passed away. He was around 3,5, so a good age for a gerbil.

So today I went out and got a replacement :wink: .

I didn’t go for another two gerbils, but rather a gold hamster. She is settling in right now and proving a lot smarter than poor Phosphorus. It took him more than a week to figure out the tunnel in the Qute. This little lady figured it out in half an hour. :lol:

No name and no picture yet. I’m letting her get used of the cage first. Have put a towel over the bottom part too, to give her a bit more peace and quiet. She has been exploring quite a big already and stuffed her cheeks with food and took it down stairs.

Was thinking of Aurelia or Aurora. As the symbol for gold is Au. :wink:

Cute! She still looks tiny

I was trying to work out what the clear plastic tube in the bottom was, thinking it was an ice pack or frozen carrot, until I realised it's the handle to pull out the tray :roll::lol:

:lol:

She is a big lady compared to the gerbils! And just now almost begged for a treat! :shock: I’m getting somewhere with this lady! :wink:

One month on and the little lady is definitely not little anymore. I have finally gained her trust. She eats from my hand and even makes little trips over my hands from the open door. She is enjoying the little treats of broccoli and egg. She even starts to get a bit bolt: my finger still smelled like her treats and she decided the finger was good to go into her little hideout and tried to drag it down the tunnel. :shock::lol:

It’s taken a month for her to let me touch her and not run and hide everytime I stick my hand in the cage. So this one won’t be the cuddle type. But I still have one and a half cat for that! 😉

And having had gerbils before this hamster, I’m used to getting no cuddles. They are not animals that will just come and sit in your hands/lap.