Sara_PC

New DIY chicken nest box idea - is it big enough?

I've been trying to think of ways to make the next box part of the Eglu Go Up more private to stop my chickens pooing in it at night. I tried an open washing up bowl, but one of the ladies used to sit on the side of it to roost and poop in there.

I came up with the idea of putting two washing up bowls together to hopefully dissuade chickens from sleeping in there and encourage them to see it as a separate nesting place that they should keep clean. Do you think it's big enough?

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

I have drilled holes around the sides to cable tie it together (thought I had some cable ties but I've run out). I don't have any chickens at the moment, waiting to get some ex-bat girls in March so I want to get this nest box problem sorted out before they arrive.

Let me know what you think or if there are any other DIY nest box ideas I can try to fit in the Eglu Go Up!

in theory yes if they'll use it as a nest box and not just as a bedroom. I made something similar for my second coop after I failed to stop the nest box in number 1 coop been used as a nest box they never laid an egg in it but at least one used to sleep in it

Looks good - looks like my cats lidded cat litter box and it has a lid that comes off for cleaning - may be an option for someone if that works. Hope it works ok

Yeah I saw those but they would be too big. I think other people have used cat litter boxes as nest boxes with good success though!

On 2/24/2018 at 11:24 PM, Lewis said:

Clever thinking!

Our Pekins always sleep in the nest tray of the Go so I might try something similar.

In the past when I had a broody in there I've used shallow tub trugs which worked well

I like the idea of the Trug! May have to try that next. 

We have the ex-bats now but they're not using my lovingly made washing-up bowl nest box, they much prefer the rubbish prototype (like Flynn!). I've put a rubber egg in the green nest box to try and get them to use it. Typical! 

2018-03-12-PHOTO-00001998.jpg

IMG_0633-1.jpg

On 18/03/2018 at 12:16 PM, Lewis said:

They like the nest to be a bit darker so can you swivel it round so the hole faces the back of the Go? Will be easier to collect eggs that way too :) 

Yeah I tried that but it doesn’t quite fit in that way due to the shape. I’m going to put a piece of plastic over the dip in the roosting bars so it can sit flat and turn around then hopefully they will go in.