GrannyTrish

I think we're going to get out first egg!

Winnie (the oldest) is behaving differently. None of them make any noise but today Winnie is making a fuss clucking and darting about, going into their coop and scratching about, coming out, clucking, running around clucking, going back in and scratching, repeat, repeat, repeat!

I'm guessing that she's looking for the best place to lay? I feel so sorry for her and want to help and ask her wants she wants and hold her hand! I feel like an expectant daddy pacing in the hospital, lol!

How exciting!! Enjoy your first egg! :) 

I couldn't believe how much they are fussing about when laying an egg, it really is quite a process! Constant going in and out of the eglu, walking around it, rearranging every blade of straw in the nestbox etc...

Oh don’t worry mine get threatened with the pot all the time 😂 Mostly when they’re moaning loudly that they want to use the nest box but someone else won’t let them!

And yes, laying an egg is sometimes a massive event. I have one girl who only lays one or two a year, but spends several days worked up running about before doing it and then another couple of days afterwards telling everyone about it!

Woke up to the second egg this morning and she was sitting on it. She came out for food so I took it away in case she got broody.

Since she's lost the top pecking order place she seems to hang out on her own a lot now, whereas before the other two used to follow her around. Actually she follows me around like Mary's little lamb which is cute, even although I know it's just cupboard love!

On 3/18/2018 at 4:02 PM, Purplemaniacs said:

Congratulations on your first and second egg.  I love pure white eggs. 

Chrissie 

It's actually not white, Chrissie, but a very pale cream. We're up to five eggs now, by the same hen. The other two hens are shirkers, lol!

Doris laid her first 'ever' egg today :D(proud mama grin!).  I was cleaning out their coop and she was fussing around me and clucking so I knew something was up, and as soon as I finished she was in and scratching about.  None of this Diva nonsense that Winnie had :lol:. Although to be fair, she was only a Diva that one time.

DSC_0483.JPG

Edited by GrannyTrish
Photo added!