GardenChick

Anyone has FEEL GOOD chicken coops?

I've got a friend who has something similar.  She bought it about 10 years ago at the same time I got my cube.  It's not weathered as well as the cube and is now standing unused.  She bought a preloved cube in the end.  She had real,problems with the roof and with red mite too. 

Edited by Patricia W

I started years ago with a fully wooden one.

Even with treating it myself I had plenty of problems with the wooden panels rotting and coming apart. I understand this one is plastic but it's also the same dimensions as the one I had and is very very small. Perhaps even too small for a couple of bantams if you didn't get chance to let them out on the garden.

My neighbour recently bought 2 of those coops (for £180) and joined runs together. 

She has 3 chickens there and is using the second coop as a storage.

So chickens have 3.5m run. 

We live in the countryside and have big gardens. So chickens can stretch their legs.

Sounds as though they're better than the pure wood ones.  If you like them, give one a go. It is pretty!  But it might be worth asking if there is any second hand value in them.  One of the advantages of the cube is that it does have a reasonable second hand value.  

Whatever you do, get chickens. They're fun ! 

3 hours ago, Patricia W said:

Sounds as though they're better than the pure wood ones.  If you like them, give one a go. It is pretty!  But it might be worth asking if there is any second hand value in them.  One of the advantages of the cube is that it does have a reasonable second hand value.  

Whatever you do, get chickens. They're fun ! 

But would I want to spend £800 to get cube and 3m run if I could get it for £180?

For that price I could get a new Windsor coop every few years (if needed) without breaking the bank.

But chickens are on our list soon.

I've never bought new.  Only reconditioned direct from Omlet about 10 years ago for about £400, and one second hand for £300 about 6 years ago.  I'd still get a good price for them if I sold them on.    Also, I think the mark 1 cubes have the edge over the new ones currently on sale, so I'd prefer to go for older ones anyway. 

I've added to the run over the years too ( again buying preloved) so they now have lots of room outside when I have to keep them locked up.   Given that the risk of having to confine them to the run for weeks on end as a result of DEFRA Avian Flu regulation is so high, the ability to extend covered run space has been very useful. 

Edited by Patricia W

I found my Cube on eBay after looking for several months. Cost around £400 with 2m run and feeders etc. The lady I bought it from had also bought it second hand, so it’s now third hand. I bought new nuts and bolts and if I was going to be regularly moving it it would need new wheels, but apart from that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.