patsylabrador

RAF 100 centenary flypast

I just thought that I would check that people who are in the vicinity know about the RAF 100 year flypast. It basically starts at Ipswich then flies pretty much over the A12 down across East London, over BP and then disperses. I'm not a fan of central London on very hot days so we thought we would head out towards Colchester to view it. It should be something to behold. I got the impression that people in that area kind of know the flypast route. If you have any info about good spots then please tell me. I just know that I'm going to pick a spot where I will be able to hear it but not see it. The daft thing is that I would be able to see part of it from my house but I would like to see it in it's entirety so Essex seems sensible and anyway that would be a little adventure. It sounds fantastic with 100 aircraft. Historic, helicopters, support, war jets and the Red Arrows. 

I ducked yesterday when all the windows rattled and thunder filled the air! Sadly not real thunder but half a dozen chinooks make a heck of a racket! They were in formation with 6 other helicopters - three in front and three behind. I guess they were practicing too; RAF Benson about 3 miles from us) is now a helicopter base.

• Thanks 1

Take ear plugs for the chinooks - they are hideous and the windows really do rattle. They have such an odd 'whump whump' sound. We have them flying from Chalgrove airfield too which is at the bottom of our lane (sadly no international flights available! Its an ex RAF airfield now used by both RAF and Martin Baker.)

• Thanks 1

I love the chinooks!  I find the late fly overs are quite reassuring - a bit like the old Hercules that doesn't come here now the Pumas are elsewhere. 

It's the Farnborough Air Show this year - 16th it starts.  We have had some older planes already flying low over us.  Perhaps those are on their way to do the flypast though.  I love the old'uns.  Although the newer ones are awesome too.  Hope the vulcan is allowed out to play again.

• Thanks 1

I found a great spot and it was fun and exciting, but..... I think I made an error. I think I should have gone into London and watched it there. I didn't see the chinooks or the Lancaster or the spitfire or hurricane. On the upside we do see those a lot here when they use Northolt however not like that. I did see the three F35s which were phenomenal. Mostly I watched the aircraft flypast with truck drivers and other road users who pulled in sharp when they saw what was happening. It was very friendly and fun. 

I didn't see the vulcan at all so I think it wasn't included. 

Quite funny as we raced to the windows to see what was making the noise, at the same time 2 neighbours ran out into the garden.  Because we were upstairs we could see the F10s from the bathroom window but the neighbours couldn't see down below so I was telling them where to look!  I did miss most as I'd been in Warminster (with a pit stop at the quilt shop on the way) and just got back - same for OH - he'd just come in from work and was having a rest so I decided to spoil his rest by yapping when we heard the roar - I've never seen him move so fast!:lol:  My neighbour said she'd seen the chinooks coming back earlier.  Ah well never mind.  

• Like 1

There's a lay-by that backs onto the airfield here - we used to take the youngsters to watch the helicopters - it's amazing how they throw that around like it's nothing!  Those pilots are fantastic.  Well most are, but to play like that . . . well!  Awwwwwwwwesome!

Just went shopping in Camberley today and saw some more stragglers.  Don't know what they were but they were small and definitely not spitfires.