kambro

Snake in coop - dead chicken

I found a black snake under the pine shavings of the egg laying side two mornings ago. I pulled it out and let it go in the woods.

Tonight I took the dogs out to go potty before bed and heard a loud thud from inside the coop. I took the dogs inside and grabbed a flashlight to investigate. To my horror, there was a black snake wrapped around the neck of my rooster. It killed him. 

Now I’m kicking myself for not checking the inside of the coop before closing them in. I realize now I have too much straw lining the trays. The snake hid under the shavings after I got the dead rooster out. I couldn’t even see him  

How can I prevent this? Would wrapping bird netting around the run help to keep them out? Kill even harmless snakes in the coop? 

Oh no!  So sorry. I have no experience with snakes but just wanted to say sotry for your loss that must have been very upsetting and unexpected! 

I guess netting would make smaller holes which might help? I've done this for mice/rats in the UK and seen a difference. Good luck, hope you find a solution.

I'd have a go either with weldmesh (although I'm not sure if that is small enough) as its so strong or perhaps bird netting as its so light - but I don't know if its strong enough to stop a snake?  Yesterday I happened to see a snake with a sparrow in its mouth, so I would try to do something, particularly if you raise chicks.

I'm thinking about putting a motion activated camera in the nesting area so I can monitor movement during the day.  I found a smashed egg in there yesterday and wonder if another snake came in.  No dead chickens yesterday.  

I need to figure out how to add the wire and what kind of wire to add.  I'm not very handy.  I don't want to make it so heavy I can't move it.  I already have a 3 m run.

Thank you.  The hens miss him.  They hesitate to go in at night now as if they are waiting for him to tell them it's time to go to bed.  I live in the USA.  We have lots of black garden snakes where I live.  They are not venomous, but are clearly a danger to the chickens.  

You definitely have more snakes - our natives consist of 3 and only one is poisonous.  We have slow worms which are lizards without legs so not snakes or worms!  One year we had a huge anaconda that was about to eat my husband in our compost bin (according to him anyway) it was an African corn snake that had escaped from a neighbours house some 6 months before!  Cornelius was collected by my neighbour - all 11 inches of him - I'd like to see him try and eat my husband, poor thing!

So a lot more things to think about in the US!  Sometimes we have to be thankful we don't have so many predators as you - what with opossums and racoons and all!

Never heard of slow worms Valkyrie and just goggled them, in Ireland they are confined to Co Clare so don’t have them either thank goodness. I don’t like lizardy, snakes. Kambro your run perhaps would suit on paving slabs as I wonder could snake slide under run. Can they slither upwards? Would a bricked area around run help.Poor girls they are missing their protector. 

:cool: I always wanted grass snakes in my garden.  Nearest I got was the escaped pet!  Have come across them on my walks.  Never spotted an adder, although there was one that found it's way into my grandparents kitchen.  I also didn't spot a baby adder at Corfe Castle - when the rest of my family did!  Grrr!  All the years I was running free around the New Forest I never came into contact with any adders in spite of the warnings - probably heard my thudding feet and kept out of the way!  I have seen many slow worms, in St Agnes in Cornwall, in my folks garden in Virginia Water (long before the housing all went up everywhere and there was still a field at the end of the garden) and just up the road from here.  Lizards we have had in the garden, but only to shelter in the dry stone walls - then they disappeared never to be seen again.  Pity.  Never mind, we had lots of bumble bees in the gaps instead!

Do you know what sort of snake that is, Ursula?  We used to get montpellier snakes in ours in the Tarn, but I can't remember exactly what they looked like....or if they were poisonous!

Valkyrie, you need to come with me.  In England we live next to somewhere whose name was a corruption of adder in ye olde englishe, and they are an occupational hazard whilst out for a walk.  Here in Portugal we were out for a walk and OH actually trod on a snake!  In Australia obviously they have some very very dangerous snakes, and I managed to spot one in the wild.  We also saw a Taipan in a wildlife refuge, in a glass tank.  It struck the glass whilst we looking at it.  They are one of the most dangerous snake in terms of venom in the world.  The joke is that if one bites you (? joke), your last words will be 'Is that a Tai?' And lastly, we did some wild camping in West Australia, in a place which was 4 hours drive from civilisation.  The ranger said 'Be careful of tigers if you get up in the night to go to the loo'.  I said 'Surely there aren't tigers here?'  At which point he said, rather slowly, 'Tiger snakes' whilst rolling his eyes and thinking stupid Englishwoman.....