AndyRoo

Doctor Who

6 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Goodness, I can't believe this is still running! I stopped watching when Tom Baker left (!) although I did have a few peeks at David Tennant  (but then, who wouldn't :x

Good to hear that it's moving with the times, though!

I believe it has a more global audience now than it did when I was a kid. If I remember correctly, Peter Davidson was the Doctor when I was a kid. I've always loved the show. I was really pleased when the BBC announced the Doctor was going to be female - especially as I didn't think they'd have the guts to do it because of all the naysayers.

Ha, babies! I am so ancient I remember William Hartnell, mind you I was only about 6 or 7. Great memories of Sat night Dr Who fish and chips and then if we were lucky ice cream from ice cream shop around the corner. I did get into new lot when it restarted but after a few series the stories got more zany so gave up plus the boys I now have were young and found it a bit terrifying. They are now 12, 8, 7 and 6 so maybe just right for new show ( also fish and chips methinks ) 

• Like 1

Same here - William Hartnell.  Although I liked Patrick Troughton because he had Victoria and Jamie.  Frazer Hines with his kilt - oh very nice indeed!  And I was also only little.  Hated the Daleks and the old Cybermen were scarier than the more modern versions.  Loved the Yetis with their big ball bearings in their tums!  My uncle was an avid fan.  I think I spent most time hiding behind a chair!

First Dr Who I saw was William Hartnell, they got a tv and showed it at the council playscheme we used to go to in the summer, this was before home video players so I don't know how they did it. I think it must have been old then, Tom Baker was the main dr I remember. I'm looking forward to the new season. I lost interest part way through Matt Smiths run so the prospect of a female dr has sent me back to catch up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grandmashazzie said:

Ha, babies! I am so ancient I remember William Hartnell, mind you I was only about 6 or 7. Great memories of Sat night Dr Who fish and chips and then if we were lucky ice cream from ice cream shop around the corner. I did get into new lot when it restarted but after a few series the stories got more zany so gave up plus the boys I now have were young and found it a bit terrifying. They are now 12, 8, 7 and 6 so maybe just right for new show ( also fish and chips methinks ) 

Ooooh, I can't remember what night it was on when we used to watch, but I remember my grandfather had always liked it since the Hartnell days, so he got us in to watching it.

It was one of the few shows we were allowed to watch while we ate our dinner in front of the TV. I've tried to get my niece and nephew into it, but I think they're both a little too young to understand what's going on.

I'm guessing a Saturday because sometimes we'd get a bus to my grandmothers' house and my dad used to drive from work so we would ride home after.  We never went mid-week, just not sure of the time - 5 or 6pm perhaps.  My uncle lived there too.  His favourite programme.  Even the music scared me!  Looking at the dates I must have been 5 but around 8 when Jamie came along.  Hahahaha!  Still rather like kilts.  OH refused to wear one at our wedding.  Pffft!

Never liked Colin Baker and thought Sylvester McCoy was awful.  Did like Peter Davison - it was heyyy Tristan yayyy!  And he liked cricket!  Of all I think David Tennant was the best Dr.  Now I wonder if the new girl will shine out.  

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Sylvester McCoy was awful. 

We may have to have pistols at dawn! McCoy was *my* Doctor, so he's always been my favourite. lo

I quite liked Paul McGann in the role too, and John Hurt was very good in the incarnation he played. I think I preferred Matt Smith to David Tennant, but that's because I went off Tennant's incarnation towards the end as they made him really arrogant and egotistical; I was quite pleased when he finally regenerated.

I also have a soft spot for Troughton because his personality was very similar to my grandfather's.

:lol: I think it was probably because I never liked Sylvester McCoy to begin with so didn't give him a chance really.  Sorry :$ and I agree - with the length of time for David Tennant.  That's the writers fault for spoiling it all - but then the regeneration thing is good to bring fresh blood and a new style.  I did like Christopher Eccleston although he was too serious, as was Ian Hartnell, but he did rejuvenate the part so well after all those years.   

9 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

:lol: I think it was probably because I never liked Sylvester McCoy to begin with so didn't give him a chance really.  Sorry :$ and I agree - with the length of time for David Tennant.  That's the writers fault for spoiling it all - but then the regeneration thing is good to bring fresh blood and a new style.  I did like Christopher Eccleston although he was too serious, as was Ian Hartnell, but he did rejuvenate the part so well after all those years.   

See, I never liked Eccleston. I'm not really sure why, I think it might be because I don't rate him much as an actor. In the recent Christmas special, David Bradley stepped in for Hartnell and played the First Doctor - I thought he did a really good job of mimicking Hartnell, although for some reason they decided to write him as a sexist pig. I can only assume it was done to reflect the change in social attitudes, but it seemed like a really odd thing to do given the First Doctor wasn't anything like that to begin with.

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

It was the first episode in a VERY long time I actually saw again. And I wasn’t disappointed! Thought Jodie Whittaker was great!

There were some moments where I was a bit uncertain, but I thought she was awesome. The thing that threw me off the most was the fact that it now actually looks (relatively) big-budget and 'professional'; I think most of us are used to how ropey the show usually is. lol

I'm now just reading some of the reactions online. Most of them are positive. Naturally the Daily Mail and (a lot) of its readers are having a complete meltdown, but no real surprises there.

It seems a lot of people tuned in to find out what she would be like in the role and have been swayed back to the show having been bored over the last few years.

6 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

There were some moments where I was a bit uncertain, but I thought she was awesome. The thing that threw me off the most was the fact that it now actually looks (relatively) big-budget and 'professional'; I think most of us are used to how ropey the show usually is. lol

Interesting! I caught myself thinking that after so many years (last docter I really followed was David Tenant) it still looked as if some of the props were made in someone’s garage... and that technology has moved way past this. But it must be part of the charm I guess.

17 hours ago, Cat tails said:

Interesting! I caught myself thinking that after so many years (last docter I really followed was David Tenant) it still looked as if some of the props were made in someone’s garage... and that technology has moved way past this. But it must be part of the charm I guess.

Oh, really? I thought for Who, this actually looked pretty high-budget! But I remember the days when the monsters were made from papier-mâché and the sets wobbled every time someone moved. lol

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

I agree full heartedly!

Oh btw Andy, you should really join the Christmas swap! :angel:

I was killing myself with the Banksy bits!

Graham: You can't do that! You're not Banksy!

Doctor: Or am I?

Doctor: See? Banksy doesn't have a pen that can do that... or do I?

xD

I don't know what the Christmas swap is. Maybe I will look into it.

8 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

I don't know what the Christmas swap is. Maybe I will look into it.

We a crafted gift for someone else who is doing the swap, like a secret Santa gift. Everyone receives something home made from a secret sender. It can be anything and ranges from knitted, crocheted, sewn, quilted things to woodwork and glass objects.

Mention of dodgy props reminds me of the 3 series of Blakes Seven, If anyone else remembers them. I recall seeing part of the set fall over in one scene and none of the actors batted an eyelid so presumably that's why it wasn't edited out.

They run Doctor Who over here, but they are still on the previous series as it must take time to overdub in French and add subtitles.

• Like 1

On 22/10/2018 at 7:12 AM, Cat tails said:

We a crafted gift for someone else who is doing the swap, like a secret Santa gift. Everyone receives something home made from a secret sender. It can be anything and ranges from knitted, crocheted, sewn, quilted things to woodwork and glass objects.

I'll have a look, but courtesy of uni, renovating the house, and my volunteer work, I seem to be flat out these days! I forget the last time I even managed to read a book, let alone do any crafts.