Luvachicken

How long do you keep Flubenvet for ?

It is that time of year for my chickens again so was looking into the best price for Flubenvet and came across this :

How long does this medicine keep for? You are out of stock of the 60g tub which is the size I require, but wondered if its worth buying the larger pack and using next worming period?

John Cousins BVSc MRCVS
  • Non-Executive Director

This is a good question but we have no specific information on this. As a general rule, when a sealed container of medication is opened, the contents are best used up within 1 month and the rest disposed of. In fact if the product is used and stored carefully, so that moisture is kept out and it is sealed and stored at appropriate temperatures, then it will keep for much longer. The unopened use-by date is often 2 years for this type of product. Our current stock has an expiry date of February 2016.

I usually try to get the longest date I can and use the 60g over that time. 

I've always wrapped the bag back up and kept it in the container in my chicken cupboard and it's always seemed to work.

I don't have enough chickens to use it all up in one go.

Last time I was after Flubenvet, I bought the Marriages medicated pellets, I'm thinking I might do the same again.

I just thought it was interesting that it doesn't last that long, but could keep for longer, but they don't say how much.

6 minutes ago, AndyRoo said:

I only ever buy enough for the week's worth of treatment and then bin the small amount of excess.

Is that the powder or the medicated pellets ?

£30 is a lot to spend if you only use a couple of scoops of Flubenvet powder over the week.

Edited by Luvachicken
left out a word

The powder is the older version of dosing, still used for commercial or farm flocks where they have large numbers of birds, so the powder is used before it goes off. The pre-medicated pellets come in 5, 10 and 20kg bags and have a short shelf life of about 2 months. Any left over should be disposed of as it is against licensing regulations to sell it or give it away.

2 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

Is that the powder or the medicated pellets ?

£30 is a lot to spend if you only use a couple of scoops of Flubenvet powder over the week.

I use the medicated pellets. A 20kg will more than serve my hens for a week and it's only £12.99. As I only have to do it twice a year, that suits me fine. I do mine in April and October.

We bought a 240g tub of the 2.5% Flubenvet six years ago. It was opened 5 years ago. The expiry date on the container is May 2014. It has always been stored in a cool, dry and dark place and still appears to be entirely effective, however we accept there is a risk that it isn't or won't be at some time before the container is emptied; sometime around 2022 perhaps?

Thanks everyone :-D

I've just ordered a 5kg bag of Marriages pellets. 

I think it's easier all round in the long run and it does save me having to mix it all up with my dodgy arm at the moment.

Beantree, the trouble I had last time was with the expiry date. A brand new container only had a few months more on the date and I wasn't prepared to pay for something with only a very short date.

• Like 1

We've had problems with the expiry date as well Luvachicken. The tub I mention came with two years to go but the assistant had to check all the tubs on the shelf for me because the first picked up only had two months. In England we used Marriages pellets for convenience and the chickens seemed to enjoy the change from Smallholder pellets, but on the basis there wasn't a French equivalent (and there isn't so far) we bought the powder with us.