patsylabrador

Knitting question.

If I have a 50g ball of DK wool could I get two squares out of that? How many stitches should I cast on? I'm planning to use 4mm needles. I really don't know what I'm doing! I bought this vibrant coloured bamboo cotton wool. I have 8 x 50gballs. I thought I could make a little mat /blanket thingy for a baby. I can crochet if you think that would be easier. 

The label should say something about the gauge. Like the picture below.

This tells me that if I use a 4 mm needle, I need to cast 24 to get a square of 10 cm wide. It doesn’t mean the whole ball will give me only a square of 10 by 10. It does also depend on your tension and how “tight” you knit or crochet. Best is to just start, write down what you are doing. And once you get a some idea about size, just weigh the ball or your work. Do something like 4 rows and see how much yarn that cost you, and you can easily figure out how far it will get you.

B904D63F-5788-4994-82B7-35EF617F1DA5.jpeg

• Like 1

I think it's going well. I'm making a floor mat for a baby to chill out on. I love baby playmats. When I had my twins they would spend ages lying on the floor on a mat just gazing at each other and holding hands, it's a lovely memory. So I'm knitting squares and if I have time I'll back it with starry blue cotton material with a sort of wadding to pad it. I'm making it up as I go along. Does that all sound doable and even vaguely sensible? Is it a bad idea to mix wool and cotton like that? It's bound to need washing. I've got about six weeks left before I go. 😱 I can picture myself sitting on the plane knitting like a mad woman. 

Sounds lovely! I love playmats too. Have made two small ones so far, with little crocheted toys.

Mixing wool and cotton is possible but the biggest downside might not be washing, but the stretch. Wool will stretch more, so might loose its shape, while the cotton will hold shape. Might need to treat it like quilt and stitch through the whole thing.