emmalou

Constipation

Our girl has constipation. She is on a variety or remedies (for 5 days now) and her tummy is feeling softer. He blockage was higher up so not possile for an enema or anything. There is a still a bit up there. The vet has mentioned about her eating to help push it through. One person has said don't feed her anything. any advice please? How long can it take to clear? We are off on holiday tomorrow. She does not have any egg blockages as she has had an xray.

Edited by emmalou

Her crop is fine, she just has a blockage higher up in her tummy. between the two I suppose. It is hard her not eating (although she has not appetite anyway at the mo) as her sister is also in with her and needs to eat as she is unwell after a moult. We are going away tomorrow, couldn't be a worse situation!

Hi,my 4yr old hen was constipated for a week. I thought it was egg bound and gave her epsom salts bath for a week, every other day. She was eating fine but was not as active. I monitor her over Sunday and realized her poo was like a bird's poo, just a teaspoon worth. I gave her another bath on Sunday and administered 2 DROPs of molasses mixed with 2ml lukewarm water via a syringe into her beak, drop by drop. After that she went upstairs to her nesting box and stayed there till next morning. Monday morning there were 2 small eggs( all shriveled up,size of a gooseberry) and there were poo as well. But each dropping was still teaspoon worth. On Monday evening after 48hrs i gave her same amount of molasses as above and she went straight away in her nesting box. Tuesday morning there was poo and poo but normal size and normal consistency. 

She went straight for food this morning with the other hens. Monday she was scratching around and eating grass but didn't show any interest in the pellets.

Week before that she was only interested in wet pellets and any fruit or veg that I was offering.I have not given her any more molasses since Monday. And she is walking, eating and dust bathing fine. 

Hope this helps others.

God bless