Leicester_H

Sainsbury's Premium Scotch Eggs - Free Range or Not?

Sainsbury's Deli Counter (not pre-wrapped on shelf) sells Premium (? I think is the term) Scotch eggs.

I’m sure they used to be described as Free Range Egg in British, outdoor bred pork etc. etc. - premium product, premium price - but tasty !

Today I noticed the Free Range term wasn’t there – server said they weren’t FR eggs - VERY disappointed.

I have asked via Facebook if they are FR or not and they can't tell me !

I'm sure they used to be described as FR (as I ALWAYS check) - so if they have moved away from FR that is a very bad step.

Rant over!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Omleteeers who have been on here for ages may recall me getting all air-i-vated when Covent Graden Soups brougth out quiches... all the usual guff about them being hand made by virgins on remote isles etc, but the eggs weren't free range. We put them under so much pressure on social media that they saw the light and changed them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done you.  It's done to confuse and therefore con the consumer.  A bit like sticking a packet saying "Original" Flour next to Organic Flour.  Why label it "Original" - doesn't make sense, but if you glance quickly you could misread it.  If there's any complaint about the eggs, they'll say well, we never stated them to be free range.  I complained after the organic products were no longer separate but mixed in with non organics.  The answer was "it is to encourage you to try something else" - which was stupid as I only wanted organic!