AndyRoo

Keeping other birds with chickens

Hello all,

Are there any other types of birds I could keep in a run with the hens? Or would it cause problems. When I say other birds, I don't mean so much like ducks as I do finches etc.

This year we're having a large run built for the hens, but I love the idea of having some other birds too and getting it set-up as a kind of aviary too. Or maybe I should just get some ducks or quails or something.

Any thoughts?

Andy

We have two budgies and they make an awful racket.  Had the back door open today and I could here them down the garden. I went in and covers them in the end to give them a short timeout to calm down as they were shrieking.    Next door have an aviary full of finches and they are loud too.     Ducks are probably quieter.   Ducks and chickens have been kept together in farmyards for years so you’ll probably be fine 

Just found this https://blog.cacklehatchery.com/keeping-ducks-together-with-chickens/

2 minutes ago, ajm200 said:

We have two budgies and they make an awful racket.  Had the back door open today and I could here them down the garden. I went in and covers them in the end to give them a short timeout to calm down as they were shrieking.    Next door have an aviary full of finches and they are loud too.     Ducks are probably quieter.   Ducks and chickens have been kept together in farmyards for years so you’ll probably be fine 

Just found this https://blog.cacklehatchery.com/keeping-ducks-together-with-chickens/

I wanted to get some Zebra finches because I had them as a kid, but Rich has said no. I never found them that noisy.

I'm trying to decide if I got ducks, what type I would get. I'm torn between runner ducks, which I suppose could be better as they're bigger than the hens and are less likely to be picked on, but then I'd only be able to have a couple of them. Whereas if I got some Campbells, then I might be able to have 4 or so.

I have two budgies and a few zebra finch (indoors) but outside we have chickens and ducks living together. In my experience chickens will kill quail and quail fly off so need containing rather than a walk in run that chickens can free range from.

We have a trio of Call Ducks who are fine with chickens, in the past we've had white hybrid ducks in with them too - one thing is ducks are much messier than chickens.
I think Campbells are bigger than Indian Runners too?

2 hours ago, Lewis said:

We have a trio of Call Ducks who are fine with chickens, in the past we've had white hybrid ducks in with them too - one thing is ducks are much messier than chickens.
I think Campbells are bigger than Indian Runners too?

There's no way we'd get away with call ducks in a residential area. In terms of size, I am referring to height. Runners are a bit lower than my waist, Campbells are below my knee and are what I would call normal duck size. At least, that is what I understand.

Apparently the quietest ducks are Muscovy... but my partner doesn't think they're as cute as others, so I don't know if that will work.

2 hours ago, Cat tails said:

What about turkeys? :wink:

If I ever would have the space and distance to neighbours, I would get guineafowl!

I'm not big on Turkeys. I was quite into the idea of pheasants, but I'm not sure they neighbours would appreciate them. They'd like that even less than my idea for a peacock.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Patricia W said:

Turkeys are a no no with chickens.  They can carry a disease that they are immune to, but which is fatal for chickens, I believe.   

Blackhead :)

Personally I wouldn't keep ducks with chickens; they are much messier, with the associated transference of bacteria in all that wet. Drakes also have a voracious 'ahem' appetite and have been known to savage hens in their attempt to mate with them!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Blackhead :)

Personally I wouldn't keep ducks with chickens; they are much messier, with the associated transference of bacteria in all that wet. Drakes also have a voracious 'ahem' appetite and have been known to savage hens in their attempt to mate with them!

There will be no boys allowed. Ever. lol