soapdragon

Seasonal Thoughts

Ooooh, I love the prehistoric landscape too, PL. FIL lives in Devizes and we pass Avebury and lots of barrows on the way down there. I remember going to Avebury on  a blisteringly hot day in the middle of summer and the stones were still cold to the touch! Anyone remember that rather scary children's TV series 'Children of the Stones' set in Avebury? Must have been late 70's. We bought it on DVD recently and it's still......spooky!

My tulips are nearly out in the garden...my favourite flower and I always think spring has REALLY arrived when those appear.

• Like 1

I think they are aubretia, gut feel, looks like aubretia leaf, so the prize of a fantasy chocolate of your choice goes to Valkyrie!

I also remember clambering about on Stonehenge, and like you, its a memory I cherish, its so organised now and costs £18 per person to visit.  We have taken 2 sets of American family there in the past 12 months, the pull of the stones goes very deep, they both specially requested the trip.

Whoohoo!  Fantasy chocolate chomped and not adding to the hips!  

Had lots of sessions at Stonehenge before the vandals ruined everything.  My grandparents lived in the New Forest so a trip to Stonehenge was always fun.  I hasten to add that there were very few people there in those days.  Since then I've had Stonehenge overload with Canadian cousins.  More recently when mum moved to Wiltshire I used to go round Larkhill to avoid getting stuck in the traffic - even out of season!  Now I drive from the opposite side and don't miss it at all!  Although I did see my first and only bustard and many rock thrushes one winter round the back there.  Love the Long Barrow!  Not liking walking through the mud to get to it though!  OH and I were doing the Ridgeway Walk years ago - had to stop half way because somebody pulled a muscle in his groin and I had to give him a piggy back to a pub for a taxi to one of the cars (we had his and mine - which was left at Avebury and his was somewhere around White Horse Hill)!

Hems was the name used by New Forest friends.  Hampshire Hems perhaps?  Grockle is a west country reference - via OH's cousins in Bristol!   

I've seen 2 brimstones today - for me that's a sure sign that the worst is over.  We also had a speckled wood butterfly in the garden - OH is a magnet for them.  It was the only one he used to recognise as we walked down lanes and they seemed to accompany us along the route!  LOL!

Wow - that deep pink is beautiful! As the daffs and tulips fade the fruit trees take over! I have some pink fir apples chitting - haven't grown pots for a few years but decided to give it a go again. Just walked back from the Weds eve pilates class and it's still so light!