acbruce

Thin shells

One or maybe two of our hens have now been laying such thin shelled eggs that they are broken all over the nesting box. As a result we are only getting one or two eggs a day. All four hens have access to a grit/oyster shell mix, good quality layers pellets, fresh water. As they lay quite early in the morning I can’t discover which hen(s) it might be. Any help gratefully received.

Unfortunately this happens with ageing hybrids Acbruce, so perhaps there is nothing you can do? As well as Calcium and Phosphorous, which will be in the layers pellets, they also need vitamin D which they get from sunlight or as an additive. You could try some cod liver oil as a single 1mL dose carefully and slowly dropped down the throat. Not to be repeated for at least a week.

I’d give her some nutridrops for a few days and make sure that is getting enough oystershell.   As my hybrids got older they became less interested in the grit and we got through a lot less of it so I started adding to their food and scattering in the run 

The best thing for this is to add some Nettex Mineral Boost to their feed; it contains calcium and phosphorous as well as other minerals to boost shell strength. It has an aniseed scent to stimulate appetite as well. If the cause is just lack of calcium then this will work. They could just have 'tired' shell glands due to age, or need worming. When were they last wormed with Flubenvet?