Alis girls

Help rats!

Hi today two women turned up with a pest guy. One said she had rats in her garden and did I keep chickens.  I said yes how did she know and she said she'd heard them. Highly unlikely as the woman right next to us didn't know we had girls. 

We have made our WIC rat proof . They are around. We have two cats so baiting will have to be done with care. I am really upset as they obviously think I am the cause. What can I do. In London there are rats everywhere. 

It is highly unlikely that you are the cause, but if you keep chickens then the rats will try to get to the food or tunnel under the housing or run if they can. If you can demonstrate that you are keeping it spotless and taking anti-rat measures then I can't see that they have reason to complain.I would take the food in at night to take any food source out of rat-reach.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage; they were probably just asking questions of the neighbour to try to establish a cause. As you say, rats are probably more common in London than the country and they are probably more likely to be attracted to wild bird food/feeders, or rubbish bins that they can get into.

Thanks Clare. I wouldn't mind but she's obviously a few doors down. The neighbor adjoining us and those next door to them haven't complained which could mean that they have something in their garden rats like too. Easy to blame chicken lady. We have ordered bait and will be putting it down. I am worried sick I will have to give up my hens. 

I will probably come to nothing - lots of folks keep chickens now and the environmental chaps are pretty savvy. If there is a complaint, they won't make you give them up without investigating first; you can invite them around for an inspection and send them off with some eggs.

She's just looking for a hook to hang her hat on.

Thanks Clare. Bait is down. She's not pleasant. I was talking to the neighbour whose house joins ours. Not a mention of a rat. And she's got a new grandchild and I would understand worries re kids andcests. ES pointed out loads of old garages at the back which could house rats.  Spare chicken pooh is spoken for. I am ready if council come round. 

Today the environmental guy turned up. Showed him round our girls. He was happy with the set up. Advised us to put up a bit more netting in places. He did say girls food should be taken away once they had fed in morning.  I was a bit perturbed as the girls often feed during course of day. He kept talking about "flocks". I pointed out that we had 3 girls hardly a flock. OH said we had had girls girls 10years and never had a problem. That's why I am not totally convinced we are cause of rats. He was happy with set up. Hope that's the last of it.