heth1986

Bantams in NE Derbyshire

We’ve got a bit of morehens going on here, my small flock is now down to 2 following the loss of my oldest lady last month. I’m really struggling to find any bantams for sale nearby (North East Derbyshire), does anyone know of anything?! I’m not fussy, I have a bantam Marans and a Sulmtaler (not sure of spelling) so something of a similar size, I’d like something that will lay a decent amount of eggs though so that rules out the silkies and pekins which seem to be the only thing for sale around here! Thanks in advance for any recommendations xx

There are two breeders of Brown English Leghorn bantams in Cheshire Heth1986, so not that far from you. Contact the leghorn club 'www.theleghornclub.com'. We've bought from Keith Ashly and Gary Norbury. They are flighty birds but have character and lay well.

I’ve found Polish bantams to be good layers of decent sized eggs.  They don’t go broody and lay an egg a day from March to end of September.  And they go on doing  this till they are about 7 or 8.   You need to be a bit careful with their funny hair dos, so a covered run for the winter is best.   They are good with children and easy to pick up as they can’t see behind them with their hair!  I’m down to my last two.  One is nearly 11 and fully in retirement.  Madonna is about 8 and still lays occasionally.