Mrs A

How easy is to move a long run with Eglu cube?

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a new Eglu cube with the standard run.  At the moment I just have 1 cockerel and 1 hen as I am waiting for some ex batteries to join them.  However even with the two of them I would like them to have more space.  I have the wheels and intend to move the whole thing every day.  I have noticed that this is harder than I thought it would be (ground on a bit of a slope) and I am thinking of buying handles - why they don't just make handle shapes on the eglu itself I don't know, but anyhow.  My question is - if I extend the run by 1- 2 meters (at great expense with the run extensions!) will I still be able to move the whole thing everyday?  For me this is essential, they need fresh ground at least once a day  - for their own welfare and for the welfare of my grass!  I am trying to avoid letting the hens free range completely unless I can get an area fenced off - as I am having trouble keeping them off my new garden plants.  Can anyone answer my queries and give me any other advice on moveable runs.  Thanks in advance.

I have no experience with moving a cube. But I do know that most on here have their run and cube on a fixed site. Most on slabs with some form of bedding in it.

personally I don’t think moving it every day will be enough to safe your grass. When your chickens are on proper chicken pellets, they don’t need to have grass for their welfare. 

I have the Eglu with 3 meter run. I move mine every day to a fresh patch of grass since I have a big yard. Mine cannot free range (no fence and foxes).

An upward slope is a challenge. While it’s not easy to move it by myself, it’s not terribly hard either (I’m pushing 50, average condition). There’s no real instructions for how to properly move the run that I saw. I ran across a YouTube video where the man showed how to move the run. It’s not an Omlet video, just another Eglu owner. He picks up the front and walks backward. That’s what I do. It works for me and my girls!

Yes.  Not easy on uneven ground!  That, plus the fact that they quickly kill all the grass unless you have a field is why most of us establish fixed sites.  Plus it’s even harder to move if the run is covered as mine is.  I use aubiouse in the run, changing it about 3 times a year so would not want to move it.  ANH who hasn’t been on here for a bit, put her eglu classic on a trolley with wheels I seem to remember. 

Thank you so much for the replies....really helpful.  I had a Broughton before which I moved every day and it saved the grass fine - as we have a lot of it - so I am confident that my moving every day strategy works well for me, but it obviously wouldn't if it were on small lawn - and yes, sometimes they dig small depressions in the earth so I have to keep them away from where my sons play football!   I thought that the eglu would be easier to move on its wheels (the Broughton does not have wheels so it was a question of sort of "walking" it sideways from ether end till it was on new grass).  I'm interested that Kambro can move a 3 meter run - so that gives me a bit of confidence.  I think I will buy the handles first and then if that helps maybe get the run extensions.    I take Cat Tails' point that they don't "need" grass if they are fed properly, but it is the grass that makes their yolks an amazing yellow and it seems silly for me not to let them have grass when I have a lot of it.  Having seen them eat it greedily when moved I am sure that they like it.  Thanks all.