Mrsjohno

Sick chicken - advice very welcome

Our most beloved hen, Matilda, is very poorly  She is around 3.5 years old and our only remaining original hen.  She's very much loved by our two kids (and me!)

For about a month, she has not been herself. I noticed she was breathing like a bullfrog (if that makes sense, her neck puffing in and out).  I also noticed she had lost quite a few neck feathers.  We kept an eye but realised her 'voice' sounded as if she was blocked up.  She was still eating and drinking reasonably (and laying).  We separated her and took her to the vet who prescribed Tylan (5 days, in water or food).  This didn't seem to have much effect and a week and a half ago I noticed her sinuses were swelling.  Her appetite decreased dramatically.  Since a few days ago, there has been a lot of mucus clogging one nostril in particular and her throat.  She has stopped eating completely but is still drinking quite well by herself.  For the last two days, she has been very hunched, lethargic and is clearly struggling to breathe other than through her beak.  I have been using hot compresses, swabbing her nostrils etc. but she has gone downhill rapidly.  

I called the vet again who isn't in until tomorrow.  I was going to ask if she could prescribe Baytril as I had read it might be effective for the sinus infection.  It is getting to the point where I think it may be kinder to euthanise her, but I wanted to post in case anyone had any other ideas or thoughts?  Is there a chance she could pull through if we manage somehow to dislodge the mucus?  Any guidance very welcome - and am very grateful in advance.  

I don’t know how you’d clear the mucus (I’m not saying it definitely can’t be done but I don’t know how). A hen I bought at auction had loads of mucus - she was fine in herself - eating and drinking and really feisty - but would have massive sneezing fits every so often. Then after having her a few days I found her dead with her beak completely clogged with mucus - I’d seen her absolutely fine 10 minutes earlier so sadly I think she probably suffocated.

I’m afraid in view of the fact that your hen has been unwell for some time and has stopped eating I’d suggest it would be kinder to euthanise her. 

Hello Mrsjohno, I'm sorry your first post is about your unwell hen, its always difficult when a bird presents like this.  It may be too late by now, and I do know how distressing it is when a bird can't breathe, but if your girl is still alive then I would advise taking to the vet tomorrow, and being guided by them.  Respiratory problems can be hard to diagnose accurately and therefore treat effectively. Tylan is normally stronger than Baytril, particularly if its injected so it is fast acting, so that may be a course of action they recommend. Personally, having been through the trauma of trying to save a bird with very laboured breathing many years ago, I vowed never to do that again, and so I would prepare yourself and the family that it may be kinder to have Matilda put down.  If she is a hybrid then 3.5 years is a reasonable age, and even if she is a PB then its not bad and you will always know she had a good life with you, which is all any of us want for our livestock. I wish you luck and courage. 

Thank you both so much. Yes, this is my first ever post as it’s been fairly straightforward so far and Matilda has had a lovely life in her cube :) 

She was a little relieved this evening after I suctioned some mucus using a baby aspirator (!), some snuffle balm and some electrolyte solution, just to ease her night until we can chat to the vet. 

Preparing the kids to say goodbye - though I think I’m the one who’s finding it hardest ... Oh dear.

Thank you both again, how these feathered friends find their way into our hearts ... x 

I just wanted to say thank you to both kind Omleteers who replied to my post about Matilda.

We made the decision to have her put to sleep yesterday as she was suffering so much. As fate would have it, it was a year to that day that her best friend Henny was taken by a fox.

Am feeling the strangest feelings of guilt (did I make it worse by isolating her at night and stressing her? Was there more we could have done?) and sadness. 

She had a happy time with us, though I miss her today appearing in the kitchen to eat out of the cat’s bowl, running when she heard her name and the treat bin opening, and cooing goodnight from inside the coop every evening.

Thank you for taking the time to reply when we were feeling desperate - I really appreciated it x 

Absolutely don’t feel guilty. As has been said here many times before, being prey animals chickens are very good at hiding weakness / illness, so that by the time you realise there’s something wrong it’s very often too late. You did what you thought was best and did the kindest thing at the end which is all anyone can do. Yes it is funny how hey worm their feathery way into your heart,I’ve never yet not been upset at losing a pet. Feeling for you x

Sorry to hear about Matilda but please don't beat yourself up. We recently went through the same thing with our beloved hamster and I still feel guilty for not having him PTS sooner and, on the other hand, having him PTS at all! All you can do is your best for them and know that they have had a lovely life.

Hello Mrsjohno, I can't think how I didn't see your message of 29th until this evening, but I just wanted to say well done for taking the right step. As Soapdragon says you feel bad if you do have a pet PTS and bad if you don't, its not easy.  But Matilda was obviously a well loved hen and I think that is all any of us can hope to do with chicken, give them as good a life as we can manage, and they will repay you with good memories.  RIP Matilda.

I'm afraid that by the time symptoms have presented, it's often too late to treat this - sounds like a sinus issue. I once had a snotty bird which had similar issues, but I culled it on day 2 when things didn't look so good.

On a more positive note; I have been trialling a product which is aimed to help with this.... it is hard to test on a product which help with breathing problems at this time of year, and I can't give too much away at this stage, but it contains various ingredients to help clear the airways and is dabbed on (one drop) on the 'chin' under the beak. It can also be made up into a spray with water and spritzed onto the bedding under the roosting bars at night. I'm not sure at this stage whether the company concerned will take it to manufacture, as it's one of a group of products they are currently looking at..

• Thanks 1