Peter

Keeping Chickens 3

Hi from warm Northumberland.

I spent quite a long time building the coop as family said make it so the coop can be demolished.

(they did not have the love for chickens like me).

I made the door internal so that at a later date I could purchase a electronic opening system.

But for now a cord is attached to the top of the sliding door then vier a pulley, the cord goes outside then across to the fence.

Which means I can open the door in the mornings from outside the chicken compound or any were I wish to place the cord

such as outside the bedroom window etc.

(I had to go to Spain for the pulley but I did have a holiday there).

More to come. Peter.

Door.jpg

20190315_172013.jpg

Good idea to make it so it can be dismantled Peter. Know someone who spent a lot of time building a lovely big coop then discovered it was far too heavy to carry and left it behind when they moved house. Makes it a lot easier to repair and paint as well. All of ours except one we bought are 'flat pack', simply so they could be transported from England to France. The one that was too heavy to move stayed behind.

Internal pop-holes are inherently secure although more difficult to build, whereas external ones can be easily torn off. Like the thought of opening them from your bedroom window, then going back to bed.