DorisandAggie

Worried! Tired & quiet, tiny poops, sitting down?? Poorly Hen?

Hi I’m a new chicken owner of two chickens and I’m a bit concerned about my girl Doris.

She only started laying 5 days ago and normally squawks away all day and scratches about with Aggie. But today she is really really subdued. She’s sitting down all the time and closing her eyes. She’s much slower when she walks about and isn’t interested in her food. 

Also she’s doing really small poops - a pea sized about comes out each time often watery like scrambled egg. 

I’m really worried about the poor girl! She laid this morning and was less loud than she has been whilst laying. 

Could it be down to the hotter weather we’re getting? Aggie seems fine and like normal. I haven’t noticed any worms in their poop or anything like that.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated - somethings just not right and I’m new to this!

xxx

OK so pick her up and give her a thorough health check, including checking the skin around her vent for lice and mites. Have a very gentle feel of her abdomen too, and let me know if it's hard, soft or and squidgy. Is her crop full at the end of the day?

For now, I would give her a couple of doses of NutriDrops over the next 24 hours, make sure that she is drinking, and see if you can tempt her to eat by mixing some pellets with warm water - the scent will entice her. At the moment, the symptoms that you describe codul be almost anything, and I wouldn't like you to worm her while she is so unwell.

1 hour ago, The Dogmother said:

OK so pick her up and give her a thorough health check, including checking the skin around her vent for lice and mites. Have a very gentle feel of her abdomen too, and let me know if it's hard, soft or and squidgy. Is her crop full at the end of the day?

For now, I would give her a couple of doses of NutriDrops over the next 24 hours, make sure that she is drinking, and see if you can tempt her to eat by mixing some pellets with warm water - the scent will entice her. At the moment, the symptoms that you describe codul be almost anything, and I wouldn't like you to worm her while she is so unwell.

Thank you so much Dogmother 🙏

I checked her over and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary, her crop was okay etc - but I’ve given her the warm water feed mix and she has just wolfed it down and has seemed to perk up significantly and started walking about with Aggie again. I’m so relieved!

I don’t have NutriDrops at the minute but I’ve added some poultry tonic to her water - hopefully she’ll be right as rain again tomorrow!

thank you!