Cocoschickens

ANTIBIOTICS

My chickens are on antibiotics for a possible respiratory infection. I started them on layer pellets with Flubenvet as a precaution before the course of antibiotics. I have 3 days left for the worming pellets, should I continue it whilst they’re on antibiotics or take them off them and do it after They’ve finished the course of antibiotics.

thank you 

22 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

I'm pretty certain that you worm them after the antibiotics have finished but I'm not sure of the time after.

I'm sure someone will be along to confirm and give you more precise details.

Thank you, I’m working them now and not really wanting to stop half way through but don’t know if it’ll effect the antibiotics or not

Three days after the course of antibiotics is finished you should give them probiotics (Avipro Avian) to restart the gut flora. The reason is that antibiotics kill the gut flora, so whilst they may be eating they won't be digesting the food properly, if at all. Never use probiotics during an antibiotic course of treatment because it reduces the effectivity; we know because we made that mistake once.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

You can do both at the same time if you had already started before the antibiotics.

Thank you, just spoke to the vet and he said it’s ok

2 hours ago, Beantree said:

Three days after the course of antibiotics is finished you should give them probiotics (Avipro Avian) to restart the gut flora. The reason is that antibiotics kill the gut flora, so whilst they may be eating they won't be digesting the food properly, if at all. Never use probiotics during an antibiotic course of treatment because it reduces the effectivity; we know because we made that mistake once.

Ok, where do I get them from? Thanks 

Also how long after ? Thanks