Willow

Is wildflower 'meadow' doomed with ducks and chickens?

My duck and chicken runs are beside an area with a number of trees that I'm cultivating as a woodland garden, it naturally has a clearing that at the moment of a mix of scruffy grass and weeds. I'm thinking of clearing this and sowing wildflower meadow mix in the autumn. Due to a persistent fox problem the ducks and chickens only free range when I'm gardening down that end now but I'm wondering if even so my vision of a wildflower meadow is daft?

Our ducks love wandering around the field.  Also converting to wild flower meadow in one area.  There are so few of them that there is no damage at all, while within the electric fence area in the evening, the red clover abounds.  Fantastic for bees!  I gather geese are better at mowing than ducks.  Although that being said, both chickens and the ducks prefer to nibble my plants in the garden and the shorter lawn - or shorter moss with bits of grass sticking up through it and lots of daisies and dandelions, hawksbit and speedwell etc!

Thanks DM I hadn't thought of fencing off just the meadow area at times (menopause brain 😂) It's not going to be a big space so that's doable. After I don't know how many years my oh is finally getting closer to building me a walk-in run. He ordered the wood for the panel frames just before lockdown & his order was cancelled I'm hopeful I may get it by the end of the year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Minnie&Moose said:

"The one that your OH has been cultivating?!" - Yep, that's the one! I'm seriously thinking about moving one of the chicken groups into the garden for a bit of lawn improvement!  Wonder how long it would be before one of them fell into the pond😲

Hmmm, they have polarised vision, so tend not to see the surface of water - once saw a hen just walk straight into a pond!

On 5/7/2020 at 6:26 PM, Valkyrie said:

Mine haven't bothered with the pond - the evil twins and dusty have had drinks but the little ones prefer the other side of the garden.  Duke has dived in once - and I went and told him off and he went waddling off complaining bitterly.:lol:

Not sure I trust some of mine - they're not the brightest chickens we've ever had - I reckon they'd really gum up the pump😱

It can create a beautiful, natural setting for your woodland garden. Considering the fox issue, you're right to be cautious with the free-ranging. Maybe you could incorporate protective measures like fencing or specific plant choices that deter foxes. For inspiration, check out the stunning California Super Bloom. It might give you ideas for a colorful and fox-friendly meadow.

Edited by ShelHarby