chooks a go go

Eglu hater...

I looked at and priced up over 40 ready made hen houses and even priced the wood up and netting for my joiner son to make one. The eglu worked out cheaper than most hen houses and the wood, netting etc was only about £40 cheaper than reconditioned eglu, using good strong wood not cheap stuff. I think the fact that he couldn't guarantee it would be fox proof and the moaning he would do whilst building it :roll: and the fact that i would have felt i had to give him something for building it swung me :D. They are not a gimmic they just do eggsactly (couldn't resist) wot it says on the tin :D and look nice whilst doing it

Before ordering my cube/eglu I checked out the internet, did my research. I discovered that those who have eglus love them, and those who don't hate them!

I went for the cube/eglu as I felt it was the easiest to clean, and therefore less chance of getting mites, rats, flies and diseases. Also the fox deterant.

Is it a bit like the Marmite love it/hate it thing, then?

Some friends of ours have the most idyllic wooden chicken house ever - it's on old converted wooden railway carriage with climbers growing over it - it really looks lovely, but even they complain about the cleaning and mites. It looks gorgeous, but I wouldn't want to clean it.

I don't think they ever have an eglu though - just so not their style *shrugs*

:lol::lol: Awww... thanks you lot. Popcorn, the guy you are talking about is the one who hates Eglus - I'm sure of it! The place is called John Sturman and he is behind where the market was in Blackheath - we must be talking about he same place - do you think? I will definately visit Hodge Hill Farm though, thanks for the info.

Egluntine...lol...you are always so direct and to the point :lol::lol: @ immortal battery hens! Ahhh dear.

I have a far more serious thing to worry about now anyway, on another thread. My neighbours are ganging up on me because they have seen rats in the vicinity. :roll:

Yes, that's the name - John Sturman. Oh no, I didn't know he was such a stick in the mud! My Mum gets all her supplies from him too, that's how I know him.

Well, I'd take my custom elsewhere. I was also wondering if there might be a farm towards Halesowen/Clent way as it's quite rural out that way.

Egluntine always makes me chuckle too :lol: I'm still laughing to myself at the 'lob a cabbage into the run' comment that she made weeks ago... :lol::lol: I still have visions of the hens running for the lives when they see her coming up the path, cabbage in hand.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Get a cat. That will solve the rat problem....

I'm sure her oh will love that.

'no darling we're not getting rid of the chickens, we're gtting a jack russel/terrier instead'

:lol: :lol: hmmm...I think the response might be...unprintable on here that's for sure. Wonder if I could rent one, on an hourly basis - Rent A Ratter type of thing, you know? Not that I have actually even SEEEEN one of the little *******s in MY garden yet! (Rats that is, not wee brown crazy dogs)I mean, you know, as the rat man at the council said, they are not MY rats! Harrumph!

Not that I have actually even SEEEEN one of the little *******s in MY garden yet! (Rats that is, not wee brown crazy dogs)I mean, you know, as the rat man at the council said, they are not MY rats! Harrumph!

We saw rats in our garden and we thought they were nesting under the rabbit hutch. we got the rat man in (who was very nice) got the poison put down etc. and when he thought the rats had moved on we moved the hutch - no nest!

The rats moved two doors down! I think they had been disturbed by loads of building work nearby - they demolished a load of warehouses to build houses, so the rats moved into our gardens where we all have bird feeders for the wild birds - I bet some of your neighbours do too.

We stopped feeding the birds for the summer and haven't seen a rat since. The one thing the rat man did suggest was 6mm wire mesh to stop the rats getting into the compost bins (lots of garden and kitchen waste for them there) and to bring the bird food in at night (which is when they mainly feed).

Don't know if this helps - but it might give you some ammunition to dish out to your neighbours about what they are doing to attract rats. I think you have to learn to live with them to a certain extent (rats AND neightbours :lol::lol::lol: ).

I could send Jazz round - she ate one today.... and a mouse :?

As others have said - feeding garden birds attracts rats - do your neighbours feed the birds?

We stopped feeding garden birds for this reason although we will never be free from rats livingwhere we do. We didn't want to encourage them nearer than was necessary.

But I would very much like to have an old railway carriage in the garden .... for me, not the chickens though :lol:

Try keeping the chooks away from that :lol::lol:

Egluntine - I thought the distance was from rat to human was always about 6ft :shock:

I can rest a bit easier now! :D

But the bird feed issue is exactly right, the little old dear opposite us had a problem with them because of that last year.

We got mice instead - a present through our semi's cavity walls from our neighbour who really has lost the plot - when I went round she told me she would be more bothered if she heard 'human noises' outside than hearing 'little animals' scurrying around in the attic! :shock:

Okayyyy...

Helen

Wonder if I could rent one, on an hourly basis - Rent A Ratter type of thing, you know?

You joke ... but I saw this yesterday: Terrier owner who WANTS rats! Are you within 40 miles of Leicester?

http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10150

I think I'd have to go out for the day, I couldn't bear to be there ... :vom:

OMG!! :lol: I'm about 60 miles...maybe he won't want to come that far for one scabby rat that I haven't actually seen with my own eyes. I never realised folks did such things, but I suppose they have to train them somehow. I think I would have to leave 'em to it as well though... :vom:

But the bird feed issue is exactly right, the little old dear opposite us had a problem with them because of that last year.

Helen

Huh. When I went to tell my neighbour the council are coming on Monday and to check his compost bin etc he made a great point of telling me how they have stopped feeding the birds because of the pigeons and how they now only have one little , squirrel proof feeder way up high (like rats can't climb or chew through wire). He may as well have ended his little speach by saying, "So they MUST be YOUR rats! We are squeaky clean round here!" :evil: :evil: :evil: