HMTurner

Chicken enclosure turning into mud pat.

Fairly new to chicken keeping. We have a 6mx6m enclosure for our 2 silkie and 2 hybrid chickens. Originally it had grass that he all gone and since the rain has started it’s turning very muddy. I am worried about my silkies getting very muddy with there feather feet. They are also making the coop very dirty. Any idea how to help without costing a fortune? Is it bad for chickens to have a muddy enclosure? We have ordered some slate to make a path from the door to the coop but any ideas what to do with the rest or the area? Thanks.

You need to cover the run first.  Use clear tarpaulins on the top and sides, leaving some uncovered for ventilation.   Look at Tarpaflex for heavy duty clear covers. Hold in place with bungees.   If you’re on a limited budget get clear shower curtains.  Theyll only last a season but are about £9 last time I looked.  Then  put log roll or similar round the perimeter. That keeps run covering  in when they scratch around,   If it’s very soggy now, I’d put hardwood woodchip down first, then aubiose on top.  If you’ve got time, and the resources you could slab the run.  Then you could just put aubiose down.     Don’t panic.  Many of us have been there too!  

Edited by Patricia W
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually Cat Tails, I have aubiose on compacted heavy clay.  Because the run is covered it’s like concrete.   The trick is a good clear cover.  Why  aubiose and not woodchip?  Aubiose is easier to clean and maintain. The poo dries and disappears.  Rake sanitiser in once a week and I only need replace it every 4 to 6 months.   It composts beautifully too.  I use hardwood chips in the external area which is not covered.  

• Like 1