So am I right in thinking that an ordinary rabbit/guinea pig hutch would not be suitable?

:lol::lol: Only if you padded the ceiling! They don't all do it, just some birds do it more than others.

Sarah, Lesley's set-up is just what they need - a double door entry is a must because they are talented escapologists as Martin knows :lol::wink: . They also benefit from branches to perch on and undergrowth to lay their eggs in.

When ours were in a poultry ark, the door fell open and they escaped. They flew onto the top of the ark and from there onto the top of the netting which is nearly 6' high. One then flew down onto the lawn and was running around. Since they've been given a run with a roof and a branch to perch on, they seem to have forgotten how to do it :roll::(

I have to say I have been researching quail for a long time (I know I started looking long before I knew about Martins) and the general consensus seems to be hutches and the like are fine and the only boinking posts I've read have been on hearsay as opposed to actual experiences of birds hurting themselves.

I did a lot of research too, when I was thinking about getting some, including speaking to my lovely chciken lady, Pearl, who has kept quail for 40 years. I saw her quail boinking first hand - they're nutters! They also need to be somewhere warm in the winter, so more expense :roll:

Having seen them kept in different environments, I'd personally feel happier with a large run as described above. But then it starts to get expensive when you want to breed them, as the breeding pairs all need to be separated to be ensured of pure strains and no inbreeding. I decided that I really don't have the time or money to do it.

So am I right in thinking that an ordinary rabbit/guinea pig hutch would not be suitable?

Why not?

Because, as Clare says, some of them 'boink' - jump vertically - and can cause injuries to themselves. Some don't do it at all.

I'm also assuming that they need plenty of room to run about and stretch their legs.

How much space per quail would you recommend?

I don't know - I really ought to do more research :oops:

I suppose if you can keep 3 hens in an Eglu run then you wouldn't need much space for a fair few quail - but that's assuming their requirements are similar to a hens :?

They are easy to look after if you only want them for eggs - I wouldn't have time to get into hatching any...... but they do like to lay their eggs anywhere.... and usually in the most awkward of places :x I would like to put more shrubbery in for ours - but I know I wouldn't be able to reach half the eggs then :roll: