Really? :shock::shock:

Mind you if you were going to intensively rear hens , you could cram 20 chickens into an Eglu.....I'm not sure that would make it acceptable though. :?

I'm all for giving animals as much room as possible, so that they can display natural behaviour and be healthy. :lol:

In their natural environment, Quail roam grassland and moors, so they aren't 'made' to be confined in crowded spaces. I'd be unhappy keeping any animals of mine like that.

Martin! (this is your Mum speaking!) Stop being so antagonistic - I know you're not well, but it's not in good taste to wind people up about such a sensitive subject.

............then how lucky that you can get such great advice on here from people who know that is wrong & who have the animals best interests at heart.

I am sure that you Martin are far to sensible & considerate to even think about doing such a thing :D

I agree Cinnamon. Just because others elsewhere do it, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is in the best interests of the creature.

It's always best to try to imitate their natural habitat and provide plenty of room. :lol:

We've had a bit of a rat problem and lost 4 of our quail - this left just one poor hen on her own.

We've just popped over to Martin's to collect some companions for her. We were going to take 4 but he had a group of 5, 14 week old, hens ...........so we took all 5 :roll::wink:

Martin's quail all looked extremely happy and cared for. Thanks for letting us take all 5 Martin!

We've covered the whole floor of the aviary with mesh so we shouldn't have anymore problems from the rats. The rats have been springing the traps without getting caught :evil: , we also have poison under the shed where they are living.

Fantastic news.

I read somewhere recently that the easiest way to peel a hardboiled quail's egg is to drop it in vinegar, which quickly dissolves the she, leaving the surface of the egg smooth.

I don't know if it works or not, but just thought I'd mention it. :lol:

Do you give names to quail?