Cinnamon

Slow Worms

8) We used to collect them from an old dissused railway station, and take them into primary school to show everyone. They are great, and eat slugs and snails, and mashed potato :wink: .

I too have not seen one for years, but they are harmless and very gentle kind of a snake thing. :D .

We had about 10 of them living in our compost heap a couple of months ago - they seem to have all moved on now. When we had cats they used to catch them and bring them into the house - we had to take them off the cats, put the poor things in the bath (no water obviously) until the cat had forgotten about it then my dad would go across the road and take them up onto the downs so they would never be covered in cat spit ever again! We always have to be careful with the lawnmower too if we have long grass as we get so many in our garden :?

We have slow worms living in our garden - the cat tried to stalk them, but they're too fast! Their tale drops off so they can escape - a bit gross when you find one on the lawn as they keep moving for a bit to distract the 'hunter' while the worm escapes.

They are a protected species I think. Builders and developers have to relocate them if they want to build on land where slow worms live.