Cinnamon

Slow Worms

Anyone know anything about them?

The Husbamd found one yesterday which was trying to get across a patio & would have died, so he brought it home :roll:

Its only teeny & is living in a bucket at the moment, with twigs & greenery, but we would like to make sure its happy before we release it again.

Found this for you -

They hibernate from October to February/March under piles of leaves, within tree roots and in crevices of banks. They hibernate both communally and solitarily, and sometimes share hibernating sites with other reptiles.

Slow-worms are a welcome component of the compost ecosystem.

So get him in your compost bin now, he needs a nap! :wink::wink:

When we were on holiday this year, Abi said that she could feel something under her sleeping bag. WHen we were packing up the tent the next day, out sltithers a slow worm. I'm surprised you didn't all here the screaming!!

Once she had calmed down, she did stroke it, as did I, it was gorgeous.

I would love one or two at my allotment, damn slugs :evil:

we've got loads of them living in our compost heaps! if you take the black plastic off the top (of the heap, not the slow worm!) there are usually 3 or 4 at any one time enjoying the warmth.

only thing is, it puts me off using the compost!! - someone told me I should remove it by hand to avoid the risk of hurting the slow worms, and while I wouldnt want to hurt them I dont fancy shifting compost by hand either. so we are at a compost impasse at the mo!