TheChookKeeper

Not Closing the Door at Night?

I religiously (although sometimes a little late!) open up my girls at about 8am, and close them again some time after they go to bed, usually about 7:30pm.

Does everyone close up the eglu door (the sliding one) every night? I was thinking it would be better if I could leave it open all night, so they could come out of their own accord when they wake up.

I'm not worried about foxes, as I don't think we have too much of a problem with them, and the run is always attached, and I would always keep that door closed and locked, the whole thing is pegged down too.

My only concern would be the weather - with the door open I guess it would get pretty cold in there at night.

Maybe this is something to do come spring, what with the longer days then too?

What do you all think?

We are leaving our door open at the moment because we are away over half term and will have to leave it open then as a young teenager will be checking on them and I wouldn't want her to have to come after dark.

They have been fine upto now. Our white star goes to bed at about 6pm then gets up for a wander around the run and a snack in the wee small hours we often here here pecking at left over corn in the little pot we have attached to the run, then she returns to bed only to get up usually around 6am when it is still dark so I don't know how she will feel when we start to shut them in on the cold winter nights. :)

They all are usually up before dawn, but we will shut them up at night from the end of half term until the spring and they will just have to get up when we do.

We have concrete blocks under the run skirt and rocks on top. The whole lot is then in a bark chipped area surrounded by planks that come right up to the run skirt nd the garden is enclosed by a high wall with extra trellis on the top.

The concrete blocks are as much to stop Egzeena tunneling out as to stop mr fox tunneling in :lol:

We have concrete blocks under the run skirt and rocks on top. The whole lot is then in a bark chipped area surrounded by planks that come right up to the run skirt nd the garden is enclosed by a high wall with extra trellis on the top.

Talk about Fort Knox!

Crikey - still, good on you!

I decided, after trying to move the run with all the pegs still in the ground, that Mr. Fox didn't stand much of a chance!

if they get spooked they're more likely to make a run for it and end up in the run where they possibly may be more vunerable than nicely cooped up, pardon the pun.

We close our door every night and hubby opens it when he gets up at about 6.30am.

We're going on holiday for a week on Saturday and are leaving the door open so the chicken sitters don't have to come twice a day. It's not too cold yet so I hope they'll be OK. They are very quiet girlies so shouldn't disturb the neighbours.

i'm a bit of a worrier too - when it gets really cold, I've got an old picnic rug with a waterproof backing that fits perfectly over the eglu (well, we don't want them getting chilly in the night do we?)

Over-protective chicken mum? Not at all :D !

I always leave the eglu door open, then they can go to bed and get up when they choose. If the weather got really cold I might close it, but at the moment they are very happy and healthy with it open. I have paving slabs round the outside of the skirt, so there's no possibility of the fox getting in - or not without a mechanical digger! Birds just fluff their feathers up if they feel a bit cold.

Well I've had my lovelies less than a week - and they we so clever first night they took themselves straight to bed.

I will always shut the door - I like my bedroom door shut at night :D I'm sure I already make too much fuss - with the rain we had the other day I now put a tarpaulin over the run area as well. Don't want the ground to be soggy when they get up in the morning.

soft I know :roll: