Cat tails

Meet Houdini and co.

Haven’t weighed the barnevelder when I got her, but there was no risk of her escaping anyway. 
Unfortunately the little Sebright doesn’t particularly appreciate being handled, so I won’t do it every week. But it is certainly a good way to see she actually got bigger. So hard to tell when you see them every day.

On 3/14/2021 at 7:47 PM, Cat tails said:

But it is certainly a good way to see she actually got bigger. So hard to tell when you see them every day.

Yes, when you see them every day it is hard to see a change and, all their feathers make it hard to tell how much they have actually grown.

It's funny though, some weeks they only put on a few grams and another week, they put on almost 50g.

45 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Babies have been going to bed fine since the first few days. But I gave them a clean hutch on Monday without straw. Since then they have decided it isn’t bed worthy... 😒

Silly blighters!

What fussy little madams :lol:

My big girls always inspect my cleaning standards and usually give a little mutter of approval.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Samrich said:

My name is Sem, I really love doing housework. I have many different animals. Its own small farm. But I get tired of work very quickly and get distracted by games on **removed by a Mod** 🙄😂Who needs advice on a particular issue, please, I will be happy to help!

Ha! Well! That took you at least a good week before you managed to show your spamming! Well played Sam, but next time use a proper photo and not an AI generated one and try and spell your name right. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I removed the partition just before dark for a bit. The big girl were completely absorbed with trying to find any goodies the chicks had missed. Mus (the tiny Sebright, mus means sparrow) and Selma (the barnevelder) had a good nosy around in the rest of the pen. They got a few nips from the others, but it was all very mild. Big girls were far from interested in them.

• Like 3

Removed the partition this morning and left them to it. Some chasing and some cornering of chicks, but no blood shed and they still get to eat on top of their little house.

Have given them plenty of entertainment today and they have done well so far. Bet the babies will be sleeping well tonight! 

620230F5-8678-44C8-978D-E4337BB54799.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

Sounds good CT. Looks like a lovely day where you are too 🌞

It was very sunny, but quite chilly and a lot of wind. Next week we are going to get 20 degrees! 

A miracle has just happened! The chicks just went to bed in the Go. They are sort of wedged in the door opening. But in is in!

• Thanks 1

Your babies look quite a bit bigger than mine even if they seem to weigh the same.

I am not sure I am brave enough to put mine together yet.

What about the food ? How do you stop the babies eating the grown up food and vice versa ?

23 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

It was very sunny, but quite chilly and a lot of wind. Next week we are going to get 20 degrees! 

A miracle has just happened! The chicks just went to bed in the Go. They are sort of wedged in the door opening. But in is in!

We also had very cold wind and some sunny spells yesterday.

We are also due some lovely weather on Monday and Tuesday

Glad your chicks managed to get in the doorway - what clever little girls :clap:

• Thanks 1

The big girls couldn’t care less about pellets, doesn’t matter if they are their own or the chick food. The chicks still eat both crumb and grower pellets. They did poke their heads in the big girl feeder, but a bit of mixing won’t do any harm.

Gave them loads of treats today to keep them occupied.

Selma is about the same size as Merel right know. Mus is still pretty small, about the size of a small pigeon.

26 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Selma is about the same size as Merel right know. Mus is still pretty small, about the size of a small pigeon.

That's good that they are similar sizes.

My chicks are definitely at least half the size of the big girls so I am not ready to take the risk yet.

47 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

That's good that they are similar sizes.

My chicks are definitely at least half the size of the big girls so I am not ready to take the risk yet.

Mus is definitely half the size of the others if not less. Selma is about 2/3 to Truus and Gerda. But I feel she has pretty long legs for a Barnevelder.

Even with her wonky toes.

• Like 1

Dewormed everyone just now. Gerda screamed bloody murder again. That chicken has some lungs...

Babies were quite good and just kept very still, but little Mus even enjoyed sitting on my lap for a bit. Nice and warm I guess.

They are about 16 weeks now, big enough to get rid of all passengers! 😂

• Like 2

Mus and Selma are around 22 weeks now, no eggs so far though. Selma the barnevelder has lovely red comb and wattles, Mus the Sebright has no headgear whatsoever yet. Just two very distinct white eyebrows!

Have tried to take pictures, but she isn’t really cooperating.