Cat tails

Meet Houdini and co.

Just picked up two new chickens. A 10 week old Sebright and an 11 week old Barnevelder. The Sebright is so tiny, she managed to squeeze through the run wire within 30 min and was in with the big ones and then out in the garden! Managed to scoop her up again and now fortified their part of the run with small gauge bird wire.

She is a little cheeky hen! The barnevelder has some wonky toes, but has done well up till now, so figured she’ll be fine. Both are silver laced. 
No great photos yet, but they have retreated in their little rabbit hutch for now and have had a good little feed drink.

6285DFF1-BC30-41F0-B778-E773A3F199CD.jpeg

• Like 4

They are still VERY scared of everything. And little houdini is just so tiny, she can squeeze through just about every gap... 

They ventured of their little hutch at dusk and then decided that the hutch wasn’t bed and went looking for bed everywhere... little barnevelder even tried flying up the run sides...

Hope a good sleep might settle them down a bit for tomorrow.

Not fixed on names yet, and houdini won’t stay houdini! Thinking of Mus for the tiny Sebright. Mus is the Dutch name for a sparrow. Mus is the white blob on the left with her head poked out. The grey/ black blob on the right is the Barnevelder.

Maybe Selma for the little Barnevelder?

34 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Get a Sebright they said... it will be fun they said.... 😂

To be fair CT I think what they actually say is, Sebrights are very small and very good at flying so they’re not suitable for a first chicken and think carefully about your enclosure 🤣

Hopefully though she will get big enough to not be able to escape any more!

I wanted gold sebrights as my first chickens but (probably fortunately) I ended up with Wyandottes instead.

45 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Mus is the Dutch name for a sparrow.

Funny that because my Peggy reminds me very much of a sparrow. 

She tweets just like one and is still very small, like a sparrow.

47 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Not fixed on names yet,

That'll be why my glasses aren't helping then :wink:

16 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

To be fair CT I think what they actually say is, Sebrights are very small and very good at flying so they’re not suitable for a first chicken and think carefully about your enclosure 🤣

Hopefully though she will get big enough to not be able to escape any more!

I wanted gold sebrights as my first chickens but (probably fortunately) I ended up with Wyandottes instead.

The guy was trying to sell me either a wyandotte, cochin or bielenfelder, but don’t want anymore big broody fluffbuts. And the Bielenfelders were partridge and have bad experience with anything partridge coloured.

Oh well, we’ll get there in the end! She is supposed to be the size of a Dutch bantam, and neither Merel or tiny Leentje was ever able to get through the bars. Itty bitty houdini is only 200 grams, so she should bulk up a bit!

2 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

Funny that because my Peggy reminds me very much of a sparrow. 

She tweets just like one and is still very small, like a sparrow.

Yes itty bitty houdini tweets a lot too. Very cute! But she does have a good pair of tiny lungs on her!

• Like 1

The others can see them and are less than bothered. Even when little Houdini shot through the wire yesterday into their run, they just went about their business. If she wasn’t so tiny, I might have hazarded putting them together. 

They do still have issues with bed time. Was home just before dark and they were squawking around trying to crawl under each other. Did even put a torch in their little hutch, but ended up putting them into it myself.

This was during the day.

8F638BAF-BC8A-4BA9-B65A-F645DBF70799.jpeg

• Like 1

I gave Merel some visitation rights to the babies today. She was really quiet and deliberate in her movement with the chicks. But mostly pottered around a bit and found all treats.

Put Truus in as well, but she is more like a bull in a china shop... 

57F17C04-3ED8-44BA-88BF-2A88874EA776.jpeg

74B7A586-BA8B-4882-BA9E-2A466198C52B.jpeg

• Like 3