DonnaS

Will I ever be able to go to Greece for 2 weeks again?

Well, it's that time of year, when the holiday brochures for summer drop through the letterbox...... and I fantacise fantacize fantasize (sp?) about 2 weeks in the sun come July/Aug (limited by school hols now).... Lefkas last year was very memorable.

But - we are now RESPONSIBLE CHICKEN OWNERS.

So - (and I have searched for the last hour trying to find this topic - so point me in that direction if just missed it....) - what does one do when one has chooks and one wishes to abandon :shock: them for 2 weeks.....

M-i-L said she will not....

I'm wondering whether I can have a "I'll look after your guinea pigs for 2 weeks if you look after my chickens for two weeks" conversation with my neighbours....

And if not, has anyone any ideas?

Can I send my Eglu back to James for two weeks? :D:D:D

Or are there pet sitting agencies (no, I can't afford to have someone live in my house for 2 weeks just to look after 2 chickens...)?

Any ideas welcome. Otherwise I fear that my summer holidays have gone for a burton for the next umpteen years..... :cry::cry:

Cheers. Donna

I've had 2 different sets of neighbours looking after my girls when we've been away. Neither set had ever been anywhere near a hen before and they both loved it. The free eggs went down a treat plus the fact that they just needed to pop in once or twice a day - in reality I understand the kids were calling in much more often and one family kept feeding the girls on the best lettuce from their fridge!

If you leave your girls locked in their run it makes it much easier for neighbours and you can then have the eglu door left open all the time so no-one has to get up early to let them out. With a good clean round before you go then even the poop tray could be left for 2 weeks, so all your neighbours have to do is top up food and water and collect eggs.

The family that recently moved in next door have 4 kids :D:D , and they are nagging us to go away so they can look after the hens 8)

I'm afraid I am a liitle too far away to look after your Chickens :lol: but have you thought about contacting a local Cattery or Boarding kennels to see if they would do it.

My local boarding kennel also take in Rabbits, G/Pigs, fish in fact quite a few different pets. They board the familys dog or cat so they thought why not the rest of the household pets.

I mentioned my Girls to them only last week when I was there with my Dog and they said they would take my Chickens as well if I was going away. :D

It would be easy to take the Eglu along so no worries about accomodation and the kennel assistants would have the joy of collecting eggs. :D

Thank you for your replies! It does make it much easier if I can keep the Eglu door open so that no early morning visits are necessary.

And our next door neighbours now have 4 kids too (recent only 3 weeks old though :wink: ) so hopefully they'll be accommodating.

I will find out about local catteries etc too though.

Cheers.

Last year we moved the eglu and hens to grandmas for their holidays... They had plenty of love and care (and the odd sausage because they "loved it" :roll: )

The hens will be going again this year - it was quite easy to move the eglu in the car, and the hens didnt seem to mind it at all - even being carried in a laundry basket. We have the omlet netting so they still had a bit of room.

Grandma hadnt looked after hens before, but she didnt have any problems at all... we made sure she could contact us for any advice - I'd recommend moving the eglu to the person most willing and able to look after the hens, then you arent worrying about them.

Thanks Dawn. That was my first idea. Unfortunately the Nanny who's close by already has umpteen pets and even though we offered to take the Eglu round to her said "no, we can't keep them because they need to freerange - they can't stay in their run all the time :o " . The other grandparents live 3 hours away and have a teeny weeny back garden (no grass, just a bit of patio) and wouldn't conceive of the idea!

So will be working on the neighbours over the coming months.

Esp. since I did find a very nice holiday in Corsica that would be v. nice for beginning July last night while I was surfing....

Cheers. D

Hi Donna

I live a little too far from you but I would also be interested in finding other people in my area with chooks that would be able to swap holiday chook sitting arrangements. My sister has had my girls for my last 2 holidays but she becomes a nervous wreck my brother in law says she sits watching them from the time they get up until they go to bed and as I plan to go to South Africa for 3 weeks towards the end of the year. I'm a little concerned because I don't think she'll have them again :(

Liz

Kizzy, Miss Roxie & Tilly

Check out for home pet visiing in the area. Also if you have a neighbour with any pets ask them any plans they have to go away. Then offer and downright insist on looking after them (pets not neighbours :shock: ). Offer eggs and then say would you be able to possibly...very easy (it is in summer leaving door ajar) sorted Donna! :wink::D

I am lucky nana and grandpa like my 'farm' and also have friend in village. Neighbours came to see chicks for first time today and I offered to check on their doggy :wink: and they love the sound of gentle clucks in the summer they said (never heard the alarm calls thank goodness :oops::shock: ) It's a matter of helping each other really. Would help if I was nearer.

BBx

If I were you I'd ask all ypu neighbours up your street-who you know and see who says yes. You never know you might get two people saying yes-then one of them could look after them one week and the other the next.

If that doesn't work ask a friend who lives near to you! You never know who'll look after them if you don't ask.

Also leave them your care guide if they get stuck.

If you leave your girls locked in their run it makes it much easier for neighbours and you can then have the eglu door left open all the time so no-one has to get up early to let them out. With a good clean round before you go then even the poop tray could be left for 2 weeks, so all your neighbours have to do is top up food and water and collect eggs.

So, you really think its ok to leave the poop tray for a whole two weeks? That doesnt make the chore of looking after chickens by a neighbour so bad, and there's no need to have the services of a pet sitter (at £7 per visit :shock: )

I'm just a bit concerned cos my chooks love the freedom of the garden every day, when we are home of course, so how will they cope being locked in their run for two weeks? :?

Donna,I am going to Greece for 2 weeks soon, & I have been feeling a bit guilty about leaving the hens too :?

But I have found a local chap who looks after animals when people are away, & he seems really excitied to be looking after my hens.He charges £5 a day, but I am hoping to knock him down a bit when he realises he also gets to keep the eggs 8)

The doors will be left open full time (my hens are in a big pen), & I am only expecting him to do the poo tray a couple of timws - no need to bother with the roosting bars.

Last year we went away for 4 days,leaving a neighbour to look after them...........& he died while we were away :shock::cry:

The hens were fine,big pile of eggs in the nest box, but they were OK.

Don't worry, book your holiday & enjoy it :wink:

Have you thought of advertising locally for someone? You could offer a small amount of money and the eggs as incentive. Try using the local paper, church magazines; we have a very good local magazine that gets delivered monthly that would be ideal.

Or perhaps try your local shops (assuming they aren't all Tescos now) or post offices.

Simon

Have you a farm shop near you, maybe they could have your eglu & hens whilst you are away. Or try your local agricultural college as they will study poultry keeping & be real experts!

A local garden centre may have them for you, an attraction for visitors!

A local riding stables may even have them for you as people who have horses have to go early to do their horses and also again at night to feed them & bring them in - so I don't think they'd mind chickens too much!

Just a few suggestions!