AndyRoo

New Coop / Hello

Hello all,

How is everyone? It feels like a while since I checked in.

We're still getting things done around the house and the garden, but I am pleased to say the new sheltered chicken coop is finally going up so the girls will have a lovely new home and I can finally ditch the ugly tarps. They'll also be moving into a bigger wooden house (getting rid of the cube!) so they can get a few more housemates. I'll have to hang some fairy lights and do a bit of decorating to make the place look a bit more aesthetically pleasing!

Hope all is well!

Andy

IMG_4760.thumb.JPG.8d4808ecbe1a205ecf5c678f7d299829.JPG

Bloody hell Andy are you building them an actual house?! That’s going to be amazing!!! Looking forward to regular updates 😁

All good here thanks - been a ridiculously busy summer in Cornwall so although I hate winter I’m looking forward to a bit of a respite from the heaving roads and beaches. Hopefully autumn will go on for a bit - today was stunning.

• Haha 1

Lovely to see you again, Andy, and to hear that all is good with you. Those are going to be VERY lucky hens with all that space! Of course, we'll expect regular updates on building progress and pictures of you cutting the ribbon to open Peckingham Palace!!!!

We (boys and I) are back at school and OH beavering away in the study but I've just booked a half term break near Taunton and sooooo looking forward to that - we had 3 days with FIL and Step MIL in Devizes this summer and relaxing it was NOT! What are you doing workwise these days? Are you still soap crafting? We've got through masses (obv a filthy lot!) so I need to stock up, when I have time!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 8:41 PM, mullethunter said:

Bloody hell Andy are you building them an actual house?! That’s going to be amazing!!! Looking forward to regular updates 😁

It's not going to get much fancier than that. I suppose I might paint it at some point, but I'm in no rush.

Next to that, we're having a new garage built, and this is going to make me sound so spoilt, but the footprint of those two buildings is bigger than the very first flat I lived in!! 🙈 🤣

On 9/21/2021 at 9:04 PM, soapdragon said:

Lovely to see you again, Andy, and to hear that all is good with you. Those are going to be VERY lucky hens with all that space! Of course, we'll expect regular updates on building progress and pictures of you cutting the ribbon to open Peckingham Palace!!!!

We (boys and I) are back at school and OH beavering away in the study but I've just booked a half term break near Taunton and sooooo looking forward to that - we had 3 days with FIL and Step MIL in Devizes this summer and relaxing it was NOT! What are you doing workwise these days? Are you still soap crafting? We've got through masses (obv a filthy lot!) so I need to stock up, when I have time!!!!!!

I'm getting them a huge new wooden hen house too... because morehens disease has struck again!! lol And, sadly, last year a family of foxes took not one, not two, but three of my lovely girls while the electric fence was broken! I was fuming, so I'll be getting a proper paddock fence built. It should all look really good once the garden has been landscaped too!

I'm waiting for my certificate to come through from my degree and then I'll be setting up in private practice (psychotherapist). And, yep, still making the soap - in fact, that is becoming a little side business in of itself as part of my self-care, if you like! :) 

• Like 2

Very impressed with that @AndyRoo. Reminds me of my Grandparents house in Rugby, which I used to visit with my parents as a child. They had a building like that with a run at the front and an apple tree inside it. Another memory from there is that of watching my Mother dressing a fresh hen for dinner, which I presume my Grandfather had just killed and plucked. I remember her fishing out an egg! Bet I haven't remembered that for decades; amazing how living in such a quiet simple place allows you think.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 4:19 PM, Daphne said:

It looks enormous and very solidly built.  Its not just the footprint, I have lived in draughtier buildings than that, even without the front wall!  Good luck with work, it sounds exciting and a whole fresh start, a bright time ahead.😀

Now the builders have added the second wall, and having chosen the cladding, I can confirm it will be significantly nicer than my first apartment. If they don't like it, I might go and live out there!! lol

• Haha 1

Let me know when you are suitably certified, so to speak 😉. I really must have another making day soon ready for Christmas but find that it takes so long...it's the whole getting caustic soda and oils to the right temp that seems to take the time....I aim for 100/110 degrees otherwise I find the smell of the oils just 'go. I'm also getting into making room sprays now which are so much nicer and far, far cheaper than buying. I guess we are just a dirty, smelly lot 🤣

• Like 1

Wow - that's amazing! Dare I ask how many more girls you will be getting or is that just a silly question 🙄? What breeds are you looking at? You'll be going into the egg business soon!

I hope you don't mind me asking but I have a soap related query that I'd love some advice on - do you mind if I PM you in order to pick your brains?

On 10/14/2021 at 4:57 PM, soapdragon said:

Wow - that's amazing! Dare I ask how many more girls you will be getting or is that just a silly question 🙄? What breeds are you looking at? You'll be going into the egg business soon!

I hope you don't mind me asking but I have a soap related query that I'd love some advice on - do you mind if I PM you in order to pick your brains?

I'm only planning on getting 4... so probably 6.  😂 I'm planning on getting a Cream Legbar (both of mine have died now - 1 for now obvious reason and, sadly, the other one got foxed!), A copper marans and a black marans, and then a buff orpington. I'm trying to mix more pure breeds into the flock for some longevity!! 

I can't promise I will know the answer to the soap question, but you're always welcome to ask! x

On 10/14/2021 at 3:36 PM, Luvachicken said:

Looks fab !!

I would love to be a chicken living in there.

I choose to believe they are. Especially now that I've installed some roosting bars for them to hop up on to!