Ain't Nobody Here

Help! I've upset the neighbours!

My darling doggy (see avatar!) is so scared of my girls that he's taken to sneaking into the front garden to do his business - unfortunately, not our front garden. We got a frosty note from the neighbours asking us not to let him into their garden again. I sent a grovelly note back promising to do our best. I do sympathise - I certainly wouldn't like someone elses dog poo in my garden. However, I'm cross because they've planted a row of leylandii alongside our driveway but left a big gap of about 4 feet. If they wanted privacy why didn't they put the hedge right to the end? Our dog obviously doesn't know he's not supposed to go there so I'm paranoid now whenever I open the door that he's going to do it again.

I'm also scared that if he does it again they'll use it as an excuse to complain about the hens too.

I've bought some willow trellis and am going to suggest that I put it up in the gap. Unfortunately it'll have to go on their side so I'll have to get their say-so. Hopefully they'll agree.

I'd see what they say about the trellis.

It can't be nice having someone elses dog poo in your garden but I'm sure if you offer to clean it up and do everything you can to prevent him from doing it again they should be ok.

Although sometimes people just like to moan so you can only do your best. :D

Is this 4ft gap from your house to the start of the trees or trees to pavement?

If its from the house to the trees they may have left the gap because of the damage the roots of these trees cause to your house foundations, and also they block an awful lot of light - My neighbour has them front and back - about 14ft high :evil:

We have that gap between the house and start of trees but have fences in place - although I do need to have a word with her because my dog can escape through the wire one at the front.

I would talk to them, explain that when you let your dog out you need to know its safe in the confines of your garden and mention you've brought some trellis that might do the job - If you are not asking them to pay for it I can't see why they would object to it.

There again some neighbours are a funny breed aren't they :wink:

Helen

Sorry to say - I think it's actually the animal owner who has the responsibility to keep their pet/livestock from wandering....... even if it's not a legal responsibility, I would say it's a moral responsibility. There are a couple of dog owners in our village who don't have secure gardens to keep their dogs in - and as a result the dogs believe that the adjoining roads are also their territory and come out barking and snarling to defend it. :( My late elderly neighbour was terrified of the one in the back road and my previous 2 dogs were regularly set upon by a couple of border coliies who thought the adjoining lane and golf course also belonged to them (they've also on occasion bitten children so I've been told...... :evil: And dog fouling is also the responsibility of the owner too...... I'd see what the neighbours say about the trellis - hopefully they will say yes..... :pray:

If its from the house to the trees they may have left the gap because of the damage the roots of these trees cause to your house foundations, and also they block an awful lot of light -

Helen

(See photo) That could be it - that's the reason their predecessors took out a lovely laurel hedge running down the side of their house. It made our garden totally secure once we'd put in a gate (which cost us a lot :evil: ). The gate's warped now 'cos we haven't used it since the hedge went (no point with the gap where the hedge was - again :evil: ) I was out with a torch last night checking their lawn for poos (hope no-one saw me :oops: ) - the dog went in the back garden, I turned to talk to OH, and then dog appeared from the front - aarrgh!

1839221860_fbd50a8ab3.jpg

I agree that it's my (moral) responsibility so am happy to take steps to prevent it. It's just that sometimes it's difficult to police the dog's movements - when you're coming in and out of the house with shopping or the kids are coming and going he'll nip out without you noticing.

Luckily he's a soppy friendly dog who wouldn't growl at anyone so I don't worry about him scaring people. It's just the poo (which is gross, I agree!)

If it was me, however, I would take steps to secure my garden. They've spent a lot of money on trees down the side and prickly bushes at the front so it wouldn't have taken a lot more effort to make it totally secure.

Maybe you could take him for walks so he does his business well away from both gardens? :wink:

Believe me, he is the most walked dog in the world :lol: . My OH takes him fell running regularly and we have brilliant woods 5 mins from the house where he gets a walk 2 or 3 times a day. It's only his early morning/late night ablutions that seem to be the problem :oops: .