buffie

Am I doing the right thing? Introducing a new hen

I am glad you're able to keep Lottie Buffie and what a lucky girl she'll be to have a lovely new home!

I hope you are able to enjoy your break now knowing that you've made the right decision for you all. Thank you so much for sharing the story so clearly and honestly, I have certainly learnt loads and really appreciate it.

Carol x

(PS Hillfamily - I'm with you on the horse/cow/larger garden idea! If only my son would let me sleep I'd be dreaming about it too :roll: )

Likewise......thanks for this posting Buffie - I have really enjoyed reading it, even if the outcome was not what we all hoped :?

I have been tempted by some of the Eglus that have come up second hand with 2 hens, but I KNOW I want more that 2 eventually, & I am not sure I am cut out for the introduction procedure :shock:

So, we are hanging on for a couple of months more,then we will get a bunch of hens at the same time (& hopefully the top secret..........)

Thanks Carol, it didn't end as I had hoped but to be honest don't care too much now, just checked them all and Lottie is a bit dazed that she can eat and do what she wants but it's nice to see harrie and charlie do thier usual thing and be quite happy just the two of them.

The swellings on lotties neck are going down and I am not worried for infection now but if she had been in that state much longer I think it would cause problems, just wasn't worth it for her welfare.

Bit costly but I'd rather do this chicken keeping lark than say spend £50 in the gym each month, I can walk for nothing :wink:

Lottie was almost too submissive so I think that lead to more bullying, harrie wasn't that bad to her but a large beak on a small birds body ...you can expect more problems really.

Feel relieved and also excited about my trip to Omlet HQ and getting the bantam palace (sounds like an Indian Restaurant 8) ) sorted out, see if I can smuggle any top secret plans out :wink::lol::lol::lol: Pics will be posted of course :wink:

BBx :D

Yes Sarah, we didn't know we would have more and with hindsight we'd have had a few more at the start but in mark 1 I wasn't sure we had space :? Also Mikey wasn't keen, it was all new.

2-3-4....whatever they're no more trouble to keep and it makes it fun. It's not expensive to feed them so go for it Sarah! :D

BBx

Kate you are right i have been advised by Clares bantam lady 'Pearl' that I get 2 girls and introduce all 3 to new house on thursday :D no pecking order so it will be easy.

She also told me Lottie would die if left to harrie as she was isolated and would be pecked and injured and would be denied food, no amount of time would make it better so i have done the best for them all :D Phew I am relieved as my gut instinct was that this wasn't going to improve so don't introduce 1 hen of any size ideally I guess.

Another lesson learnt and pearl said I'll just have 2 groups of hens.... 2 groups :D . Now i really feel like barbara good :D:lol::lol::lol:

I'll keep telling people I have 2 groups of hens, :oops::oops: bore them stiff and never ever go anywhere but omleteers get togethers. What did you yo do for your 40th...? went to Omlet HQ :oops::oops::oops:

Mmmn I think I need to put some clean non pooped trousers on and become 'Jayne, Clean Therapist Lady'

Bye from

BBx for now!

(PS Hillfamily - I'm with you on the horse/cow/larger garden idea! If only my son would let me sleep I'd be dreaming about it too :roll: )

Me too Carol - shall we all set up a commune?

Buffster - so sorry that I missed some of this. But Pearl's advice is spot on - have 2 communities of chooks - you can let the banties free range in the garden too as they aren't as destructive as 'big hens'.

At the moment my two lots seem to be getting on fine with the original ones free ranging and the newbies in the run of the Rablu for the time being. They got on ok when I had them out together in the garden yesterday. Just a bit of pecking but not too much. Time will tell...

Yes Clare pearl is great, she told me your araucana/poland will be laying in no time just an upset on moving. May take a week. Have you had 1 egg?

You'll be finewith yours but it's a valuable lesson for me and Lottie is perky considering, I thought I was being a real fool over this intro but pearl just reassured me and I am happy with all the decisions i've made. Looking forward to all the new girls and feel like a small holder all ready.I'm up for a big bit of land and a country kitchen! :wink::D

BBX

Bless her, she really is great - you will love her. Her hubby, Terry had a brain tumour removed last year, and he looks fantastic now.

They had some lovely little quails in the green house, plus some lovely white Japanese chooks - they look like doves and the mating pair are sooo devoted :D But the pekins are so friendly and like little fluffballs on legs. You will love having them in the garden they are soo funny and follow you around getting under your feet.

Dolly hasn't laid yet, but seems perky enough and they are tolerating the others pretty well too. I will try putting them in with the others at night soon.

Just an update we now have a buff pekin called Hollie, just one to keep any prob lems down as going away! :D:D

She is tucked in with Lottie and we will see what happens am but i feel this is a good match and I have really put time into choosing Hollie with their best interests in mind. I'll post tomorrow with update.

Thanks for listening and being interested you lot :wink::D

BBx

Goo luck Clare and let us know how it goes. It's easy here, little pecks from Lottie but she is allowed to preen and eat and just get on with things so hope it's all on the up. :D:D

Will let you know how things are but it will possibly be after hols so thatnks again everyone and get me up to speed on all the goings on when I get back. Clare you are in charge of updating me if you think there is anything I need to know :wink::D

BBx

Well done on taking such good care of Lottie. It's so hard to watch bullying and even more difficult to know when to step in. I had to separate my banties into two groups last summer and still ended up having to re-home one of them. She was bullied by one group and the bully in the other! I have found though that winter is a good time for settling down and have managed to get all my banties together.

I re-homed a couple of ex-free range girls a few months ago and have them in a separate run (purely because they are so destructive!!!) but it's funny to watch when they are all allowed in together, like today when I dug over an old compost heap. Even the smallest of the banties sorts out the much bigger chickens!

With any luck, you will find two groups easy to manage and to possibly occasionally amalgamate in the future. Good luck anyway!

Thought I'd post some points as the Lottie/ Hollie intro has gone really well but...

1. An intro for chickens is stressful, they live in small groups and don't like to have any changes, so you may find that they develop some slight health problems due to stress at the begining. Colds, lice or something that suggests they aren't in tip top condition. Just be prepared I guess and even with careful planning you need to have a plan 2 ideally :?

2. The behaviour is natural and I have now found out not to introduce two vastly different sized chickens due to possible problems/ cannabalism and a hybrid is more likely to be aggressive.

3. With 1 chicken it's best to introduce just one so the existing bird isn't bullied and the two can establish a pecking order without one not being left out. then if you want more 2 with 2 etc.

Most importantly all of this was natural behaviour, I did expect a battle and then happy chickens but realise even with the time given and the night intros and leaving them to it ,it was a doomed effort but oh have I learnt alot.

Mine didn't work out the first time but now all are happy. Hollie has a cold and Lottie has lice (normal signs of stress) but they are on the up and like each others company. Just be prepared for the time you may need to take. A bantam is naturally more placid and I would suggest checking with a good breeder. Pearl has enlightened me and I understand so much more,.

Once again I have had a good experience out of all of this andf my love and respect for chickens has grown even more

Here's to good intros and harmony, don't be put off but take your time to plan, it's not all warm and fluffy :wink:

BBx

Edited by Guest

I've taken to locking Judy the bantam out of the eglu when I'm nearby. They don't seem to be bothering her beyond the occasional peck when she gets between them and food, and I was getting terribly worried she was just going to hide in the eglu for the rest of her life. Fingers crossed, they all seem to be getting along now, and I can stop worrying so much.

Edited by Guest

Another update...

They are now fine with hollie number 2. Hollie has been treated for her cold as she was getting weak and is now fully recovered. Lottie lays every other day and is enjoying the bantam palace and they have had their first free range this morning, not for long but they were fine, a little flap at each other to once again let each other know who's boss!

BBx

Is it slightly easier introducing more to an existing pair? I'm going to be introducing 4 newbies in April to my existing 2........i will pen them off during the day but they will be sleping together at night. Am i likely to have more problems with 4 nwe ones or less because mildred wont know who to attack first?

Well you just never know really, I was told by pearl that the issue could arise when the additions gang up against the existing (4 against 2) but again if you make sure you are fully aware of what to expect and think of size and character it would be easier. I would have a plan 2 just in case.

If they are young they are usually submissive so it may be sorted out quickly just take your time with the intro.

BBx