buffie

Am I doing the right thing? Introducing a new hen

You should be okay if you introduce two bantams at the same time to Migsy as they can stick together. Bantams can be like the smaller versions of lots of animals - what they lack in size, they make up for in attitude :lol:

If you go for a utility breed like Sussex, RIR etc, then you will still have a plentiful supply of eggs for about 8/9 months of the year. They will stop laying Novemberish to Februaryish, whereas your hybrid should just keep going!

I've had both utility bantams and hybrids and, in a small space, I would recommend bantams as they are less destructive ........... and you can have more :D !

If eggs aren't a priority, then you could go for a true bantam breed like Pekins, the Belgian breeds, or even one of the "prettier" minatures like Laced or Pencilled Wyandottes.

Bantam fans are a bit well er fanatical I'm afraid, so no doubt you will get some more advice from others :)

I've spoken to the nice chap at The Hen House in Suffolk, and he has some Silver-laced Wyandotte minis that are POL (his other breeds won't be POL for a month or so, which I think is too long to leave Migsy alone). He assured me that they are decent layers and not too noisy (both of which I'd seen as SLW "problems" on the breed guide) - I'm not sure whether it's just salesman's blarney, as I'm aware that different strains of one breed can vary as much as different breeds :o

The Hen House also breed Speckledies, so hopefully they will be a fair judge of what will go well with Migsy...

I've spoken to the nice chap at The Hen House in Suffolk, and he has some Silver-laced Wyandotte minis that are POL (his other breeds won't be POL for a month or so, which I think is too long to leave Migsy alone). He assured me that they are decent layers and not too noisy (both of which I'd seen as SLW "problems" on the breed guide) - I'm not sure whether it's just salesman's blarney, as I'm aware that different strains of one breed can vary as much as different breeds :o

The Hen House also breed Speckledies, so hopefully they will be a fair judge of what will go well with Migsy...

I've got a silver laced wyandotte mini Anne; Ruby is a lovely bird and very striking. She lays well, and her eggs average about 48g. She is our guard chicken though and squawks at any cat who ventures into our garden. Wyandottes have a gentle nature, Ruby is often broody, but Sadie, my silver pencilled is hardly ever broody.

Raiding_the_herb_garden_1.jpgRuby (on the left)

Sadie_looking_lovely.jpgSadie (silver pencilled)

Thanks, Clare - I've been reading up on Wyandotte bantams, and I'm sold :) The general opinion seems to be that they are less flighty than most bantams and pretty good layers - and of course they are lovely!

I just hope that we get some positive news from the vet (re Morag's cause of death) in time to pop over to Suffolk at the weekend - poor Migsy is very lonesome :(

I just thought I'd mention on here how different it is if you introduce new hens when you have a resident cockerel.

Having been through the process of dividing the run several times when we lived at the other house and finding it traumatic on more than one occasion :? we were worried about introducing new hens last week to our cockerel and his 4 lady friends who had already settled down. The day we collected the new ones was very hot and we hadn't had time to make any arrangements before we left. We were going to separate the run to see what happened when we came back.

When we did get back - the heat was unbearable and the hens had been in boxes for over an hour. The dog had been sick in her car crate and I had two grandchildren who needed feeding :roll: We decided to put the hens altogether and hope, that as they had a lot of space, that they wouldn't kill each other before we got back to them.

The cockerel did his little dance when we opened the boxes and the new girls had a drink of water - then we left them to it. An hour later - peace and harmony :shock: The cockerel looks after them all and they don't bother pecking :shock:

For those who are lucky enough to have the space and no neighbours, it is an ideal solution.

Getting our new chickens has been quite traumatic.

On 18th July Fred and Ginger arrived (ok we're old!) and all was well. But, not knowing a thing about chickens, we didn't notice that Ginger wasn't doing at all well.

Unfortunately, Ginger died. She had some sort of congenital defect.

Fred was really distressed and stopped laying.

Now we have a new Ginger and Fred is being a right b*****d.

It seems as if Fred does most of the pecking when she can see us. If we peek from a distance, the two of them seem to be getting on fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What can we do about it?

PS I agree with other posts, it is really distressing to see.

Will

We have a new chicken (called Pepperpot-Onyx) which we got last Friday. We have managed to keep them separated form the other 2 since Friday but she always goes into the eglu/coup earlier than the other 2 at night. They all seem to settle to sleep ok. But today we are hoping to put them all together in the run but am terrified as Cinnamon-Amber seems to be not happy with her arrival! Do we just let them get on with it, or should we watch over them?. We now wish we had got all 3 together in the first place! Should it be this stressful? PP:anxious:

It usually is that stressful, yes :?

It is easier to introduce a new hen to one who has lost her partner or to hens which are kept with a cockerel.

You will need to keep them seperate for a few more days, but in sight of each other. They sleep together at night which is good.

Even so, when you do finally introduce them, there will be pecking. It is a necessary part of the process - they have to sort out the pecking order. Make sure you have a couple of feed and water stations so that the original 2 can't stop the newbie from eating and then go and make a cup of tea and leave them to it for a while.

It really will work out.

We have continued with allowing Pepperpot-Onyx share the run with the other 2 chickens and must say its been a very very gradual process but things are getting better. When they are in the garden they are all as 1 flock, except for occassionally when Cinnamon-Amber chases her. Pretty-Pumpkin never goes for her or pecks her. In the run Pepperpot-Onyx now at least comes out the coup but still sometimes gets 'hen pecked' or chased back into the coup but at least we can see things are getting better! At least there has been no wounds! Just looking forward to an egg from her now :D(green eglu)PPGNRGNR

I can't believe it. They are now all friends! And Pepperpot-Onyx laid her first egg (just under 50g) yesterday, on the grass after we let them out of the run. We are so pleased that they are getting on now. We can now sleep soundly at night. They are so gorgeous but everyone we knows seems to now be worried we have bird flu in the garden. Has anyone else found friends worried about this? GNRGNRPP

We've just lost Annie, one of two (abdominal tumour - Clarabell is the other one, ages 2 years), and replaced her with 2 new 15-16 weekers to avoid having a solitary new one getting majorly picked on.

Daphne seems to be coping OK, but after 24 hours Velma has lost most of her neck feathers, and is bleeding from a nasty bite. Clarabell pecks at her a lot, and she just cowers. Daphne has a bit more character, and stands up for herself. And has started laying already!

So we've left Clarabell out all day, and kept the new 2 in the run. And whenever Clarabell goes near the run, Velma hides in the Egloo.

Hope she's OK - we'll try the tea tree oil thing, and get some of that Stockholm tar stuff.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Guest

Im in a bit of a quandry too.. just bought 2 new girls who are very small banties. 2 original banties are very annoyed, and beat the heck out of one last night (it now has a poorly foot and a limp, but no blood only bad bruising) which needs some good thoughts its way.

Am I right in deciding to leave the 2 new ones in the eglu and run, and the other girls outside free-ranging as usual, and let them meet for a couple of weeks through the mesh?

As the newbies are so small (about 10 - 11 weeks) do I leave it longer before I introduce them to the original girls? after a few weeks, do I put them together at night or just let them free-range in the day together then go to bed as usual seperatly?

I need some words of encouragement that I am doing the right thing, its so hard! I am feeling very emotional and stressed about it all.

Oh dear, sounds like you've both had a traumatic time introducing newbies! Chickens can be horrible can't they! About 8 weeks ago I added 2 new (bigger) girls to my existing 4. Kept them in seperate runs at first, then let them free range together, now they are all together in one run and eglu (well the 2 new ones, plus the 2 biggest of the original 4).

Then last week I introduced two 12 week old babies. I put them in the eglu and run with the one who was bottom of the pecking order from my original 4. Initially I made sure she was let out to free range first thing in the morning and only put back last thing at night, then gradually increased the time they were in the run together.

Today all 7 free ranged together! There has been some pecking, but they have always had plenty of room to escape.

I hope that all makes sense :? They will all settle down, but you do need to make sure the little ones and newbies get a chance to be away from the bullies, whilst all still being in sight of one another.

So would it be best if I let the littlies be until they are a little older (they are 10/11 weeks) whilst they can still see each other through the bars, and then introduce the older 2 at night (in the dark?) for a few days, before letting them free-range together?

Panicing? me? of course! I am quite confused, there are so many different ways of doing it!