buffie

Am I doing the right thing? Introducing a new hen

Am sorry Wiggle. On another post for noisy chooks, somebody covered the run and Eglu to fool the girls into thinking that it was still night time. Perhaps you could do the same so they sleep for longer and not pick on Sylvie until you let them out.

Keep us posted :D

good idea paola. It may give me a lie in :D

Separated the chooks again today allowing sylvie to free range while millie and tikka were in the run. When i let them out this afternoon, it seems slightly better. still the odd scuffle/chase but nothing too nasty. It seems like they start pecking/chasing her if they have nothing better to do. Now they are glad to be out the run after a whole day shut in, they seem to just be happy to let her go???!!???

I am feeling a bit better about their behavior tonight, anyway. Long may it continue as was starting to get stressed about it. Thanks for all your support. It helps to talk to people who understand. :)

Well, a week and 2 days later and they're still at it..... if anything its getting worse! :roll:

We're still having a nightmare with our Tubbs and poor little Izzy.

She has absolutely decimated the back of her neck.

Seperated them yesterday after resisting for all this time, we were confident that they simply had to get it sorted out, but couldn't stand by and watch Izzy get more and more depressed. We are now only putting them together at night. Tubbs has been relegated to the old rabbit run durign the day. She is not a happy girl, watching the two new ones lord it up in the Eglu! Serves her right! :wink:

Interestingly, she hasn't laid an egg since they arrived either, whilst the two new ones haven't missed a day!

We have tried tea tree oil, purple spray, anti peck spray. None of it works!

It started off so promisingly, but now Tubbs has drawn blood, she's like a hen posessed!

Washed Izzy up in the kitchen sink today, to assess the extent of the damage. Its not as bad as it looks, but I just feel so sorry for her! She has been like a different chicken since: tail up, eating and looking happier and clean!

Ordered Bumper bits today, and pretty fed up that the Omlet run extension that I ordered last Saturday still hasn't come, but hey, tomorrow's another day!

Hope somebody might be able to give me an angle on the lack of Tubbs eggs....she has always laid so well. Too busy being evil?? :roll:

Hey Paola, thanks for the message. The run extension arrived yesterday and we've attached it. No bumper bits yet....Last night put Tubbs back in the larger run to see what would happen and she was straight on Izzy's back, pinning her down and pecking at her bald and bloody spot. I had to literally drag her off...just couldn't leave it.

So, cunningly thought, oh well, will wait for it to be dark and shove them all in the Eglu, so at least they can roost together, but she even attacked her in there (this was around 10.30), so she spent the night in the rabbit run..... :roll:

So, now my only hope is the bumper bits...as yet, not arrived. Otherwise we could be returning a chicken to the breeder, which is a shame as I absolutely love Izzy, she's gorgeous. Certainly can't afford a second Eglu...don't think OH will swallow that one! :wink:

Problems are exacerbated by the fact that only OH will be around next week, and he simply won't have the time to watch them, seperate, clean wounds etc. I really can't keep Tubbs in the rabbit run long term: Its not tall enough for her.

Chickens eh? :roll::lol:

Still no eggs off Tubbs, which I think is really weird. Must post in a sperate thread to see if anyone can spot a link....

Yes Paola. The worst of it seems to be over. Sylvie is still quite nervous and timid around the other two but they seem to have relented a little on the continous bullying. I am just thankful that i have ben able to let them free range. I think that had i had to keep them in the eglu, they would have done her some serious damage by now.

There are some tricks that luckily, Sylvie seems to have caought onto quite quickly:

If there are treats, she can join in until they are very nearly all gone. If she makes a hasty exit just before they all diappear, she doesn't get pecked. If she stays 'til the end, she gets pecked for even thinking she can eat the last few!!

She needs to be in the eglu first to roost. If not, she is not allowed in!

If Tikka is laying, don't go anywhere near the eglu for danger of a very nasty end :shock:

If these rules are followed, all is fairly peaceful :D

Thanks for your concern. The support is appreciated. I hope Annie gets some luck too soon.

Oh dear, i do feel for you Annie and Wiggle, it's horrible to watch your girls being bullied so relentlessly. My two newbies have settled in remarkably well and I'm sure it's because they can free range all day (and I'm basically letting them get on with sorting out the pecking order - I know..hard woman :wink: ).

There's a weird kind of triangle thing going on where Bluebell (biggest noisy newbie) is top chicken, Tango (resident chook) comes next and Starburst (other newbie) bottom - but Starburst defends herself by sidling up to Bluebell. And there's been some pecking and feather pulling (a few blood specks in the Eglu on day 3...) but on the whole I feel we've esaped lightly with no major intimidation or attack..

Although I feel a bit sorry for Tango to have her turf so rudely invaded, she does actually seem a bit perkier with the other two around and all three are laying.

I've also noticed all is quiet and peaceful until I show up, then there's a right old racket from Bluebell (who has to be the most vocal chicken I've ever encountered :shock: ). And Tango has the advantage of being a real old nosy Gingernut ranger - so she's first off the starting block for any treats. She seems to put up with the bossying about but I swear she has a smug grin on her face when a human treat machine comes along...it's like - haha you can pick on me all you like but you're too scaredy to come near and I'm not and mmmm yummy raisins and grapes, how many can I stuff in my mouth becore you pluck up the courage to come over..

Anyway girls, have faith and keep smiling :lol: , I'm sure it will all come right in the end

Oh Annie and Wiggle - i am so sorry to hear how difficult it has been for you - when we lost Margot Well REALLY Jerry, we decided not to get another 4th hen for that reason (instead we are going to get another eglu and another 4 chooks :wink: )

Fingers crossed and lots of positive thoughts for you

X

They are here....waiting for OH to get home, then Tubbs gets it!

She's now moulting like mad, so figure that is the reason why she's not laying at present, rather than she has turned into an agressive she/boy chicken overnight :lol::lol:

Fingers crossed for the weekend!

They are here....waiting for OH to get home, then Tubbs gets it!

She's now moulting like mad, so figure that is the reason why she's not laying at present, rather than she has turned into an agressive she/boy chicken overnight :lol::lol:

Fingers crossed for the weekend!

Good luck with the fitting :shock: Let us know how she gets on with it :wink:

Well, its on. It's one of the simple white ones from the wildfowltrust. Very difficult to get on: OH had to do the ring bit, as I couldn't prise it open enough to go over her beak. So I did the head holding and he managed to get it on after about 5 minutes.

She was not a happy bunny, but we threw a whole tin of sweetcorn into the run and put her straight in: the first time she had been back in there for 4 days. The other two were intent on eating the sweetcorn and she was intent on working out what on earth had been placed on her nose! Watched for while and Tubbs can eat and drink without any problems.

She is still trying to peck poor Izzy: She runs after her, Izzy drops to the floor, Tubbs jumps on her back and pecks at her wound, but after a night and early morning together, I have had a look at Izzy and she hasn't broken the skin, so I'm going to risk it and leave them together today. I am fairly confident that the bumper bit will inhibit any real damage.

I am also dousing Izzy in Anti-peck spray, which Tubbs doesn't like. After a mauling she gets off and wipes her beak ferosiously on the grass to clean it, so I am hoping she will learn that Izzy doesn't taste nice soon!

Its going to be a long day at work, but as I said, I've now just got to let them get on with it. As long as Tubbs cannot do any serious damage to her, I've just got to be brave and hope it soon stops!

You have done the right thing Annie. Am sure they will now be fine. Try not to worry . Am sure in time Tubbs will learn to tolerate Izzy. It always amazes me the bits and bobs you can get for chickens.

Its going to be another beautiful day, enjoy it :wink:

OK: Update time. Two weeks now. Its pretty positive :D . Tubbs is still chasing Izzy and jumping on her when she gets the opportunity, but it is SO much more half hearted now.... like, "I suppose I still should be doing this, but its really not needed".

Izzy is still very sore on the back of her neck, and of course, with no feathers and bloodstains and wounds, it looks horrid, Tubbs does still occasionally get to her and pecks this area, but isn't really adding to the existing damage thanks to the bumper bit.

Leaving the two new ones together for a while without Tubbs being there has been a bonus I think, as they have bonded really well, and the black one actively steps in when things get bad and has a go at Tubbs!! Huzzah! A taste of her own medicine! :twisted:

Here's to peace and a happy home! :wink: (oh, and lots of eggs of course)

Thanks to everyone for your support. It has been so useful to know I've got somewhere to air my worries......

Wiggle: How's it with you?

Hi,

I've read some of the posts here and would like to know how best to introduce or make a new chicken get on with an existing one.

The existing one 'snowy' on monday lost her sister 'browny'. I dont think snowy saw browny and at present snowy is quite distressed... looking around the garden for her.

We thought it would be very lonely for her and bought another. Snowy is 2 yrs old and the new one is 24 weeks old. So far the new one is on edge and snowy doesnt get on too well with her, chasing her away if she comes near.

Their house is within a well sized enclosed pen. The new one seems to sleep outside with snowy dominating the chicken house. How best can i get these girls to get on well with one another.

I know snowy is distressed. The new one is laying.

The two chickens are different breed. Would it of been better if i purchased a brown chicken like browny or would that of made no difference. What can i do ????? pls any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Z

If it's any comfort it's fairly natural for a chicken to chase/peck other chickens in their territory. They're trying to establish a pecking order which will make them happier. It could go on for say two weeks, but if they have space they will probably just work it out on their own.

They could do with extra shelter/shade/food/drink if the new one is being chased away.

(Have you got an eglu?) You can lift the new chicken in at night when the other one is roosting and sleepy. I would be worried about foxes if the new one is outside at night although maybe I misunderstood your setup.

Good luck :D I've successfully added a brown chicken to two white ones (twice).

chocchick,

Hello there... thanks for the reply..

Perhaps i didnt explain properly. Our set up is as follows:

We have a large pen about 9 ft by 6 ft. and within that a chicken house. I did have the eglu - started off with that but then they wouldnt sleep in it, so we had a chicken house made.

I recently got rid of the eglu due to space. The pen is enclosed top, sides and bottom - plenty of air flow but no flow of foxes or vermin.

The older chicken is depressed and sitting quietly in the conservatory at the moment. The new one has the house to herself for now.

As you may know, we lost one of our (non-Omlet) pair yesterday, so as soon as we're sure that Morag didn't die of something nasty and contagious, we plan to get a new friend for Migsy.

The question is, what would be best? We have a very small garden, so can't easily add a run extension, which means our eglu (Mk II) can realistically hold no more than two regular-sized hens. Migsy is a Speckledy and somewhat flighty - she was top chicken, I think, though Morag's quiet, submissive behaviour might have been a subtle symptom of illness rather than a personality trait...

So, should we get another hybrid, or two banties (so we are less likely to be left with a singleton in future) ? For the latter, I was thinking miniatures such as Light Sussex, RIR or Orpington, rather than Pekins, as they are a bit bigger and would stand up to a hybrid better, I think. I'd like a modest supply of eggs - 6 or so a week on average would be fine - as there's only me that really loves eggs here (OH likes an occasional omelette and uses eggs in his homemade icecream, but I'll eat 'em poached, boiled, scrambled, whatever!*). Migsy hasn't started laying yet as she's only about 17 weeks, so I don't know her likely productivity.

Thanks in anticipation

Anne

* Just remembered that Egg Marketing Board advert from yonks ago:

Landlady: How d'yer want yer eggs, fried or boiled?

Lodger (daydreaming): What about scrambled? Poached? Omelettes? Oeufs en cocotte...?

:D

Anne sorry about Morag and to be honest I would stick to similar sizes. If you have a normal run you could still have 3 girls comfortably in it. I had this advice when I got Buff. Introduce 2 to 1. The top hen is less likely to manage to cause too much trouble to 2 where as 1 is a sitting duck (so to speak) and in my experience it didn't work due to the size difference and 1 being introduced to 2.

If you bear all this in mind I am sure you will make a good decision.

Quite simply I would say similar size and 2 added to 1. Others will add their thoughts and advice I am sure. :D

BBx

I was just concerned that three chickens would be a bit cramped in a standard run, especially as we have to keep them in all day and can only let them free-range at evenings and weekends (no foxes AFAIK, but I'm not taking chances!). Also, three full-sized chickens would be a bit much even free-ranging - after only ten days, there's an awful lot of poo around :shock:

When I say our garden is tiny, I mean TINY! Only about 30' x 30' plus a bit of patio...

Maybe we should have got banties from the start... :(