lesc

Suggestion - Light for cube

I've been looking for a solar powered light for my cube for a while. You can buy neat solar powered shed lights for about £25 that work really well, but anything for a hen house seems to run into the £100's & aimed at folk with much larger flocks.

Anyone with rare breeds will know they tend to lay with the light & egg production during autumn & winter drops off considerably.

Have Omlet considered sourcing or making a timed cube (& eglu?) light on the solar-powered shed light principle ?

All it would need to do would be to come on for a couple of hours in the morning & evening in the winter & it could really help extend our pure breeds' laying season.

Cheers!

Les

I'm afraid i don't really agree with artificial lighting to increase egg production. The winter break is natural to chooks

And

I feel that if we disrupt their natural laying cycle then we are treating them as egg laying machines,

Just my opinion

I totally agree Helly Welly.

Sorry lesc.

I have 3 solar lights around my Eglu, bought specially so I can see it in the dark. They aren't working at the moment, as no sun (if it shines) gets in that part of the garden at this time of year, & even when they light up, when it is pitch black outside we can only see the lights glowing, not the outline of the eglu :roll:

I am still on a mission for some solar fairy lights though!

My lights ( I have 14 in total) were bought from a cheap shop in the sale, they cost £1.25 each. Although they don't cast a good light around them we have some lining the straight path down the garden- when we have had a suuny day & it goes dark they light up & it looks like a runway.

Just to be clear.....If anyone had read my original post properly, you would see that I was referring to a timed light, just to give my chucks an extra couple of hours daylight in the morning & in the evening.

I live in Scotland & our winter days are considerably shorter than even in the south of England, even at this time of year it is dark by 4.30pm & isn't light until 7.45am. I know I would feel the benefit of a couple of extra hours daylight in the depths of winter!

And in case anyone is concerned that I'm some rabid battery farmer, my chooks free range over quarter of an acre of woodland all day & everyday & are never shut in an eglu or cube run, which I personally feel not sufficiant for them to live 'naturally'......Although, I would never cast judgement on this forum over those who choose to keep their chooks in this way.

I live in Scotland & our winter days are considerably shorter than even in the south of England, even at this time of year it is dark by 4.30pm & isn't light until 7.45am. I know I would feel the benefit of a couple of extra hours daylight in the depths of winter!

Living in Scotland certainly does make a difference to the daylight hours and I can see your point now..............

Living in Scotland certainly does make a difference to the daylight hours and I can see your point now..............

Yes....me too. :oops::lol:

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm amazed that no one has brought out solar lighting with timers before now, maybe there is a technical reason that makes it impractical or too costly. I'll keep looking anyway.

Louise, I'm in Peebles in the Borders, are you the lady in Clovenfords ?

Cheers!

Les