AndyRoo

Flockdown 2022

I thought the measures applied to all birds, including 'pets', so would be even if you had a couple? You would think that it would be clearer, considering it is now a legal requirement? Apart from the disinfecting clothing  and footwear we seem to comply here, but we haven't had any instructions and there have been millions of birds slaughtered to the West of us.

Update: Flockdown comes into effect for all of England from next Monday!

From the DEFRA site:

'Mandatory housing measures for all poultry and captive birds are to be introduced to all areas of England from 00:01 on Monday 7 November, following a decision by the United Kingdom’s Chief Veterinary Officer. The housing measures legally require all bird keepers to keep their birds indoors and to follow stringent biosecurity measures to help protect their flocks from the disease, regardless of type or size.'

May the fun and games commence - again! *eyeroll* I wonder how long this one will last... :/

On 11/1/2022 at 11:40 PM, AndyRoo said:

May the fun and games commence - again! *eyeroll* I wonder how long this one will last... :/

We had the unfortunate anniversary of a year in flockdown last week. Avian flu hasn’t left us at any moment and over 6 million birds have been culled in that year.

On 11/2/2022 at 5:51 AM, Cat tails said:

We had the unfortunate anniversary of a year in flockdown last week. Avian flu hasn’t left us at any moment and over 6 million birds have been culled in that year.

I know our girls were suffering really badly after the 6 months in lockdown last year. They'd plucked themselves quite a lot. At least the smaller ones grew nice and big and plump which seems have helped them this year. And it'll give time for the lawn to recover.

• Like 1

Hi all

The best explanation I found was from the press release here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-housing-order-to-be-introduced-across-england

Scrupulous biosecurity and separating flocks in all ways, from wild birds remain the best form of defence. Whether you keep just a few birds or thousands, from Monday 7 November onwards you must keep your indoors. This decision has not been taken lightly, but is the best way to protect your birds from this highly infectious disease.”

There are going to be some very peeved backyard flocks, mine included! My mini bantam flock are used to free ranging whenever I am around & get quite vocal when I appear & they are not let out.

I’d rather feel mean than be devastated if they caught avian flu & lose them all.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t last too long

Alison

On 11/2/2022 at 11:01 AM, Skoobay said:

Sorry quite new to this topic, can we confirm that no birds must come out, and that the fine is now unlimted and a prison sentence? Or is this for commercial birds? I ahve two in a small omlet cage.

Essentially:

All your birds must be 'locked up' in a fashion that would ideally prevent them from coming in contact with wild birds at all until given the all clear, and you should take extra biosecurity measures to ensure you yourself cannot accidentally pass it on to them. I think they also suggest the removal of all bird feeding stations that would attract wild birds into the garden.

So if you have an open air run, then cover it completely with tarps and use finer mesh so wild birds can't get in and share the feeders, if at all possible.

The last lockdown lasted for about 6 months, if I remember correctly.