Boris70

Wood burning stove??

Nope door closed.....and the result is......

IMG_0003.jpg

(It looks increadibly dusty - but I promise it isn't - just something to do with the harsh flash on the camera :( )

Thanks to everyone, we have a nice warm burner this evening - and Zip firelighters weren't used at all!!!

Ahh, I see Lesley... you have a top and bottom part of the door then.

Mine has various vents and a door at the bottom for the ash pan. If the fire is ever slow to light, I just open that door and it rushes up the chimney!

No, not top and bottom parts of the door - a top control and a bottom control - they open and close, and we have to get the balance right......

That would really hack me off Lesley; when you've paid a substantial amount for somerthing like that, you kind of expect at least some instructions. I am sure they have some somewhere, but are just too darned lazy to find them! I'd be tempted to tell them that they can come and uninstall the stove and take it back (gising you a refund) if they can't come up with the insutructions by a certain date... always works :D

I must say that Villager have always been very helpful when I have had any questions about mine.

Our fire lights well, I have found the trick to be piling the kindling which has to be small into a teepee shape and then following this pattern when adding larger pieces keeping an upward angle rather than lying them flat makes a big difference.

When the kindling is going well add slightly bigger bits of wood at first and really get those going before adding anything large which can smother the fire.

Logs burn better on a good ash bed so don't remove too much ash, and when you put a large log in put smaller ones at angles underneath and around it otherwise it will just smoulder and burn out.

I love my logburner :D , best investment we have made since moving in here 14 years ago. Last year for the same quarter our gas bill was £270 this year it ws £90 because the woodburner is warming the house and reducing the time that the heating is on. Having said that wood is not cheap and we have been luck to have the waste from a couple of building sites which makes starting a fire easier because it is small and dry.

I love our woodburner!

IME if you let the chimney get really cold (i.e you don't light the stove for a couple of weeks in the middle of winter) then it can be really slow to get going.

Wood likes burning in it's own ash, coal doesn't.

Some stoves will still be warm in the morning (even with wood), others won't - depends on the thickness of the "fire box" thingy - the best I ever had was some glowing embers left in the morning, rather than still properly lit (wiith wood, that is).

dried orange peel - brilliant as a fire lighter. Although even better, if you happen to know a dental techician, are old dentures, ...... well preferably not pre-worn - the offcut bits that get cut off when the false teeth are made is what I used to use.

I don't have any now but used to have loads when I had a 'false teeth maker' as a friend before he moved.

Our woodburners are magic and we don't usually have trouble lighting them, but it does happen occasionally and I put it down to the direction of the wind.

I sweep my own chimneys once a year - I wouldn't go to the expence of paying someone as its quite fun. I have her indoors outside looking to see when the brush gets to the top of the chimney.

dried orange peel - brilliant as a fire lighter. Although even better, if you happen to know a dental techician, are old dentures, ...... well preferably not pre-worn - the offcut bits that get cut off when the false teeth are made is what I used to use.

:D:D I am just imagining your hearth Richard, big basket of logs on one

side, small basket of false teeth on the other :shock::shock:

Tessa

Can I heartily recommend a backboiler on your woodburner? I've never experienced water so hot!

My top tip is make sure the wood you source is dry. The orange bags of logs from the petrol station are always damp and rubbish- if anyone in the vicinity needs wood we have plenty of dead stuff on the hill, bring your own chainsaw :wink:

Can I heartily recommend a backboiler on your woodburner? I've never experienced water so hot!

My top tip is make sure the wood you source is dry. The orange bags of logs from the petrol station are always damp and rubbish- if anyone in the vicinity needs wood we have plenty of dead stuff on the hill, bring your own chainsaw :wink:

:lol::lol: Is that an invitation?

Always something original from Richard.

TBH I wouldn't fancy the fumes from all that molten gutta percha or whatever they use these days. :shock: