red

Off Topic - Bad news

I haven't visted for a few days and the whole chicken excitement has has to go on the back burner after Hebe - one of my young cats got hit by a car and has spent the last 6 days at the vets (uninsured :? ) We live down a country lane with very little passing traffic but sadly the traffic that does pass us is often going too fast.

Anyway she has had a couple of operations now - including a really long operation today to repair her multilple pelvic fractures and everything went well but she isn't out of the woods yet. She has been doing better and better each day and we are keeping everything crossed that she continues on her remarkable path of recovery. Every time we have visited her at the vets she has greeted us with lots of purrs and she has done really well to overcome some nasty hurdles.

So the chicken plan is on hold and my empty eglu is still in the garden. I'm scared to let my other cat outside the house without strict supervision and I am now finding myself wondering about the road sense of chickens!

Oh poor Hebe. Sorry to hear your sad news, Red. I hope she gets better soon.

If your chickens are safe in the garden I'm sure they'll not have the same problems. Cats can climb up over fences and walls where chickens can't really flap very high especially if they've had a wing clipped. It seems a shame to be putting off getting chickens but if you think something could happen to them, it's probably a good idea to make sure your garden is completely secure so they have no chance of getting onto the road.

Good luck with Hebe. It's such a shame that drivers treat country roads as race tracks.

:( Really sorry to hear the news on Hebe, I saw a dog at the vets the other day, with a massive metal rod on the outside of its leg, pressumably bolts on the inside :shock: . Any pet injury is distressing ... but like Kate says, if the garden is chook proof, the chooks tend to stay home. :wink: .

Hope Hebe recovers ... bet she loves your visits (very important, even if sad for you).

Best wishes ...

Oh Red, sorry to hear you've had such a distressing time. Noticed your absence but assumed you were busy elsewhere...sorry to hear it was at the vets.

Yes, it will be necessary to keep chickens out of road. Hope its not too long before you get them, you'll have such fun when you have time to think about that.

Meanwhile, thanks for keeping in touch & hope all goes well for you,

Best wishes,

Sorry to hear about Hebe's accident, Red. I've cats myself and one, who now lives with my Mum, loved giving me sleepless nights. Thankfully they are hardy things. Bless her socks for purring when you visited. Hopefully she'll be home soon and you can give her lots of TLC. We've never insured the cats and even Pippin, disaster cat mentioned before, didn't cost as much in any one year as the insurance would have. My vet reckons under 8 years old it's probably not worth insuring them

So sorry to hear about Hebe - poor little thing :cry:

I do hope she'll be ok. I had to leave my little cat behind when I split up with my partner a few months ago, but we are on very good terms, so I get to see her a lot. She's 15 years old, and has had a couple of health scares. It is very hard to leave them at the vet's isn't it?

Oh Red I am so sorry :cry: At least Hebe has survived I have lost count of the number of cats I have had run over they just seem to find themselves out there and there are people who drive too fast they don't care that on country roads they will not only meet cats but there could be escaped livestock and people as well around any corner.

Fingers crossed she makes a good and full recovery and it will make her more wary of the road. As for the other cats I have a philosophy about them it goes you can't keep cats on elastic if they are used to the outside they will find being confined to barracks quite hard I am sure your confidence will grow again and you will become less paranoid.

The last cat I lost was only 4 months after moving to my current house and I swore no more as it was so painful but my other cat was so miserable on his own I had to get Chips and I was scared to get too fond of him but I got there and he gives me sleepless nights when I don't know where he is but thats cats.

Thinking of you and Hebe

Thank you so much everyone for all your well wishes.

It is good news that I have to share today. After her mamoth operation yesterday (11.30am - 5pm!!) the vet said that she is doing really well and that she may just as well be home with us than with them :D

So I have just brought her home! She is to have a check up on Saturday and must be confined to cage rest for at least one month :shock: or possibly up to 6 weeks :shock::shock: - at the moment that's fine because she's not in the mood for cutting about the place like she used to but I wonder how things will be after a couple of weeks?

So she is now in a newly purchased dog cage that has enough room to house a litter tray, her food bowls and a nice big sleeping/resting area.

Unfortunately her sister doesn't seem to recognise her and has been growling and hissing which is a bit upsetting because they were very much a play and sleep together pair - so we have removed all the things that smell of the vets and are trying to refresh her memory - it isn't unsurprising that she doesn't recognise her though because she has no hair at all on her bottom half and half her tail has been shaved :shock:

Thanks again for all your wishes. I dont intend to delay the chicken plan too long but I probably will wait another week just so that I can give Hebe 100% TLC.

You are doing the right thing Red you have to give Hebe lots of your time at the moment and the chooks can wait.....That was some operation I hope she starts to get better soon and I am sure her sister will recognise her, and they will become buddies again like you say it could be the vet smell that is confussing her at the moment....Good luck and keep us updated on Hebe's progress.....

Red it may not be that Hebe's sister doesn't recognised her, it might be that she is just scared by all the damage she can see and is a bit freaked out. Our Roxy once cut open the skin on her leg and have to have stitches and muscle tissue repaired. Until she was back on her feet and didn't smell of the vets anymore Jasper didn't want her near him and would growl and hiss whenever he saw her. But once she looked more normal, aren't they thin under the all that fur, he was back to normal with her. Hope they are both okay soon, Hebe sounds like a proper little fighter :wink:

It's me !!!! :D:D:D I'm back !!! :D:D:D

Thanks for your concern guys. The good news is that Hebe is now home again :D Her ruptured bladder has been repaired as have the multiple fractures to her pelvis. She has a massive crusty scab accross her back that oozes puss :shock: and a limp but otherwise is doing really very well. Tom, our vet, seems a bit surprised that she's pulled through and all the nurses at the vets rush out to see Hebe when we've been taking her back for her check-ups.

She is to be confined to cage-rest for 4 weeks!!! :shock: It was okay for the first fortnight because she wasn't in the mood for running about but the last few days she's been very keen to get out and start playing with her sister - who loves her again by the way :wink::wink:

So things are looking good. Her skin got all ripped off in the impact hence the big scab - she's on antibiotics to avoid infections but has been completely unphased by the whole ordeal.

Now she's on the road to recovery I intend to press on with the chicken aquisition plan. :D

By the way - my empty Eglu still looks great :wink:

Glad to hear that Hebe's doing ok now Red - I'm always amazed by how resiliant cats seem to be. A similar thing happened to my cat years ago when she went joyriding on my car - ruptured ligaments, broken pelvis, prolonged cage rest etc. I gave up trying to nurse her when she escaped from the cage 2 weeks into her 6 week incarceration and I found her climbing a tree after hot-footing it out of the nearest open window. And this was the cat who had only six months previously had a three hour operation to remove an overly-enlarged kidney! You go Hebe!!!