urbanchick

Ex batts - noisy

:shock: They arrived yesterday and are VERY noisy this morning.

Please tell me that's because they are "settling in".

The Omlet hens seem to be noisier than usual, maybe talking to the new ones. But Emily is making a right racket.

Do they quieten down a bit? My neighbours will be mad if not.

:shock: They arrived yesterday and are VERY noisy this morning.

Please tell me that's because they are "settling in".

The Omlet hens seem to be noisier than usual, maybe talking to the new ones. But Emily is making a right racket.

Do they quieten down a bit? My neighbours will be mad if not.

Same happened here!! Margot sounded like a cockeral as soon as she laid an egg and then omlet girls decided to copy! :roll: They don't do it now though *touch wood* :lol: I think they were just settling in!

try going out and talking to them in soft tones, I always find a calming voice helps to calm my girls if they're flustered by anything.

I wonder if a bit of sweetcorn might distract them?

I'm sure it will settle down, after all it's only their first proper day with you :D

xxx

Don't worry - mine made the most blood-curdling noises when we first introduced new ones. I thought they'd never stop. However, the first day was the worst and it got progressively better after that. They'd stopped the awful noises after 3 days. Honest!

Thanks for the reassurance. It's one of the ex-batts that's making the noise so I was worried I've got myself an especially loud clucking chicken. They have been much quieter as the day's gone on though.

All three have been eating and drinking well and I've had 3 eggs! I am wondering if the eggs are safe to eat straightaway - will the BHWT have wormed them with something?

i doubt they will have been wormed as they haven't been exposed to an environment where they would pick up worms. I'm sure their eggs will be safe to eat, if you're worried then contact your BHWT co-ordinator but I'm sure they'll be fine. They would have told you otherwise :D

And other people have been eating them up until now.....

Edited as forgot to finish post... :roll:

I was a bit sad about eating an egg from what had been a caged bird at first - but not for health reasons. On the other hand my 6 year old wanted to eat the first one straight away - we let her.

Hi Urbanchick. Yes, one of ours that we collected from the same place was extremley noisy. So much in fact, that for one brief moment I thought I'd brought home a cockerel!!!! Such a low pitched loud cockadooduldoo. I read in one of the poultry mags that 1 in severel thousand chickens can change sex! I thought...Oh no I've got it! However, today, she has been quiet. compared to the others, she is also very large. Is your noisy hen larger than the others? They will settle down. At one point when Annie(feisty noisy hen) saw our collie she started crowing. I responded with a loud SHUUSH!!! and she stopped immediatley. LOL

My Wyandotte squawked at everything when I first brought her home. The other chooks, me, the dog, anything and everything set her off, no matter what time of day or night.

She has now been here about 10 days and seems to have settled down a lot. She now only makes a racket just after she's laid her egg or if the dog gets too close to the run but that's about it.

I'm sure they'll settle down in a week or so.

Hi Urbanchick

I collected mine yesterday too - thay were silent on the journey home and overawed last night but this morning we could hear them all conversing very well from the house - at least 70 yards away!

The new girls have found their voices and were chatting away to the Omlet girls quite happily all day. They were very vocal tonight when I put them in their house, they did not want to be shut up and really let me know. My Omlet girls had already put themselves to bed and 2 came back down to see what the fuss was about. :?

I have actually had 2 eggs - one was in the house when I opened up this morning but had been broken and one was laid on the groud just before I put them in to bed - it was fairly big but the shell was quite weak but it should be OK for breakfast tomorrow.