clare*

New Brown Eglu What Do You Think?

Richard and Jo Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:39 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we have 2 kids and not enough garden for another eglu - unfortunately

My cunning plan for this is to sells the children.

This way you free up more of the garden and can fund your new eglu :wink:

No, no, no! You need to persuade the children that the 2nd eglu is their playhouse :wink:

It's funny you should say that.

When I took the top off the eglu to jet wash it all this weekend, Esme decided to go and crouch in it with Smokey (my cat) whilst I washed the base and litter try.

When I asked her to move so I could do the lid, she waited fairly patiently till I had finished and then went straight back inside again!

So I can safely say that an eglu would be ideal to house 1 3 year old and a cat :wink:

Now I've got the run extension, the only way I can rake it out is to get in the run.

Claret, I've just read this and need some advice. We are thinking of getting a converter and extension straight away with our new eglu as we don't intend to let the chickens out and want the largest run we can fit in the space for them. Will it be difficult to rake out the bark chippings and do you suggest we don't peg down the run (so one can lift up the side - or is this impossible?)

PS I don't have any small children to crawl inside the run!

Edited by Guest

Hi Merryn

The run plus ext. and converter is very long -we're using the whole set up for ducks at the moment. Ours is on grass but if you are planning a bark base for it then it wouldn't need clearing too often and if you used the Omlet pegs, I think they are removeable?

You could just unpeg one side, in the middle, and rake it all out through there.

I'm afraid they are no use at all if you have light sandy soil, however.... They come straight out however hard you screw them in.

How irritating :evil:

Sounds like you need something heavy to hold down the skirt on bumpy bits - rather than paving slabs (too heavy) or bricks (not heavy enough) you might find old cast iron butchers weights or the heavier flat irons more convenient. I've picked up a selection very cheaply from junk shops and find them very useful for all sorts of things - most of our door stops are old flat irons :wink:

It's clay down the hill, but light Shotover sand up in Headington where I live. It's wonderfully easy to dig, but holds no moisture and is not very nutritious for plants. The hens love it, as they can dig dust-baths a foot deep without expending much effort.

My chickens are gradually taking over all the grass at the bottom of the garden, but they haven't got much of my vegetable patch yet. Here they are yesterday:

chickens.jpg

The massive Cochin is at the back, the Wyandotte with her long legs and clipped wing on the right, and the standard Omlet issue in the middle. Needless to say, they have the sunny side of the garden.

One good thing about covering the Eglu run: the hens hate perching on it now, so there is little danger of them jumping over the fence.