Snowy Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 ... before you die! Sorry if you've seen this before, but it made me laugh so I thought I'd share it A lady died this past January, and the Bank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and then added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance that had been £0.00, now is somewhere around £60.00. A family member placed a call to the Bank: Family Member: 'I am calling to tell you that she died in January.' Bank: 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.' Family Member: 'Maybe, you should turn it over to collections.' Bank: 'Since it is two months past due, it already has been.' Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?' Bank: 'Either report her account to the frauds division or report her to The credit bureau, maybe both!' Family Member: 'Do you think God will be mad at her?' Bank: 'Excuse me?' Family Member: 'Did you just get what I was telling you . . The part about her being dead?' Bank: 'Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor.' Supervisor gets on the phone: Family Member: 'I'm calling to tell you, she died in January.' Bank: 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.' Family Member: 'You mean you want to collect from her estate?' Bank: (Stammer) 'Are you her lawyer?' Family Member: 'No, I'm her great nephew.' (Lawyer info given) Bank: 'Could you fax us a certificate of death?' Family Member: 'Sure.' ( fax number is given ) After they get the fax: Bank: 'Our system just isn't set up for death. I don't know what more I can do to help.' Family Member: 'Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care.' Bank: 'Well, the late fees and charges do still apply..' Family Member: 'Would you like her new billing address?' Bank: 'That might help.' Family Member: ' Glasnevin Cemetry, Finglas Road , Dublin 11, Ireland , Plot Number 1049.' Bank: 'Sir, that's a cemetery!' Family Member: 'Well, what the heck do you do with dead people on your planet?' Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenlass Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 ROFL alas I would think that conversation really did take place. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 Very funny, the world is a mad mad place Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 Very funny. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lisa33 Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 Hilarious Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 brilliant Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kaylis1980 Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 if only this was unbelievable lol. when my nan died in november she was still paying rent to the council Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hillfamily Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 my Dad was fined £100 by the Inland Revenue for not filing his tax return for the tax year after the year following his death I phoned the IR and explained that he had not completed a tax return as he had died in the previous tax year - a fact they already knew and had acknowledged, as I had completed all the relevant IR paperwork and his estate received a rebate as he paid to much tax I was told that there was still a chance that he would receive another fine the following year for not completing the next years tax return ....... I did ask where they thought they would be sending his tax return forms and was told to his flat ...........at this point I saw no need continue the conversation Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 my friends husband died last year and the insurance rang the following week to speak to him to confirm that he was making a claim on his policy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 Tiggy that is so funny and so awful at the same time! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bronze Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 Did anyone watch watchdog the other night. The CSA making claims to men for children they didn't have. It nearly wrecked marriages. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 my friends husband died last year and the insurance rang the following week to speak to him to confirm that he was making a claim on his policy :shock: What do these people do with their brains when they go to work? Do they stop being feeling people and turn into systemised robots? I just don't understand how these ordinary human beings become so stupid. And system writers should surely have "what happens if the person dies?" as a standard consideration. People die all the time for many reasons. We all know that and death affects us all. I really can't stand the "the system won't let me" excuse. it means that it wasn't designed well enough in the beginning. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cate in NZ Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 It doesn't surprise me one little bit. I had major grief last week trying to close a joint credit card account because my husband is overseas and I'm going to follow him soon. Hubby ended up having to ring them from New Zealand to say that he also wanted the account closed and then because he'd already shredded his card and no longer knew the security code on the back of it they actually refused to close it . We could answer all the security questions but that, the account is now frozen or whatever but they will not close it until they recieve in writing that security code. Fortunately it doesn't actually incur an annual charge and we owed them nothing but still incredibly frustrating to have a stray account just sitting there Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chocchick Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 It makes me just go I love the bit (original post) where the employee gets excited there might be an address to bill and s/he can follow procedures, despite the fact it is obviously irrelevent by that point How insensitive and just unneccesary for the recently bereaved. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted May 6, 2008 Author Share Posted May 6, 2008 It made me laugh as I've had a similar thing happen. When my Mum died in January 1999, she left an open catalogue account, having bought all the grandchildrens christmas presents via mail order catalogue. It must have been several months later when I had a call from the catalogue stating that Mum still owed about £150. I explained that I had notified them of her death and they said that was fine, but was there any of the items that could be returned to them! I explained that the stuff was probably all childrens christmas presents. There was a pause, then she asked if I thought any might still be unopened! Hm, now what were the chances of that! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
freddie Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 Oh let me name and shame the Portman B/society.. when mum died, she had 2 accounts for my kids, with her as signatory. i filled in all the forms, the kids signed them, we put in the cert of death, and sent it all off. I received a letter a week or so later stating "re:master R and Miss C, deceased...... Next letter, I was deceased, next letter, they sent all details of some poor lady in Essex who had died, and so it went on. After 6 weeks of this carry on, I exploded, and it got sorted out. then i had the water co; the bank, and the pension people, and the council tax...... I began to think it was me;;;; until I read the notes I'd kept.... So, nothing suprises me anymore, you just learn to hit them where it hurts.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
McChook Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 I work as an undertaker and, sadly, hear these kinds of stories all the time - the world has gone money mad and compassion has become a thing of the past If it's any help to anyone, you can contact http://www.the-bereavement-register.org.uk who will do their best to prevent things like junk mail being sent out to someone who has passed away, but unfortunately they can't do anything about bureaucratic idiocy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 It's sad that so many companies seem to be staffed by people who just can't grasp the concept of something unless it follows their "rules". I recently tried to activate my mum & dad's new credit cards (with mum beside me to speak to them when required). They wouldn't let her, as my dad is the main account holder. I explained that my dad was in hospital. Them - "I need to speak to the main account holder" Me - "He's in hospital" Them - "I can't activate the account without speaking to the main account holder" Me - "He's in hospital" Them - "I can't do anything without speaking to the main account holder" Me - "HE'S IN HOSPITAL RECOVERING FROM BRAIN SURGERY!!!!!" Eventually, after getting a supervisor, they worked out that if we got a letter drafted to say dad wanted mum to be the main account holder, they could sort it. Luckily he was able to sign it, even though I don't think he really understood what it was about. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackiepoppies Posted May 7, 2008 Share Posted May 7, 2008 When my son was in intensive care on life support following a motorbike accident the police tried to insist that he produce his driving licence within 7 days! Wihin the last few weeks I have been invited to apply for my pension by phone.....great ....I thought, easy! 1st call...Our computers down, can you call back next week? No probs. 2nd call...Sorry, we can't take any phone applications unless it,s within 8 weeks of your eligibility 'cos we've got a backlog. O.K. Iwas three days early applying! 3rd call....Yes Madam , of course you can apply by phone. This will probably take about 20 minutes, 'Is that alright' Of course saysI. Answer all the questions...understand this....security and all that...only to be told that my answers don't match the info. they have on me Now at that time I was nearly a pensioner, and was pretty confident I knew my date of birth, date of marriage, mothers [and my] maiden name etc. etc. but no, somewhere along the line, I had got it wrong! Only solution was to wait for a lengthy government form to arrive, be sent back with my marriage cert. [originals only, if you please] and hope! Marriage cert. returned, as promised. Now just waiting to see if I get the Pension Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...