We have had our girls a week today and I have been watching how they use the cube ladder to get in and out.

Going in doesn't seem to pose too much difficulty for them, a bit of flapping and wobbling from Charles, but she always puts herself to bed as they all do, but coming out in the morning is a different matter.

Primrose walks daintly down each rung like a lady.

Florence attempts the first two rungs and then launches herself off onto the floor.

Charles seems to fall and tumble to the floor and Babs misses the ladder altogether and just flies out the door.

Does this sound like they are OK with the ladder or do you think I (or rather OH :lol: ) should build a wooden ladder from ground level for them?

That sounds something like my girls! I have never been totally convinced by the ladder, they don't seem that comfortable with using it - but they all get in and out, so I don't worry too much.

If I had time, I might try and build a wooden ladder, I just don't feel they can grip the plastic rungs very well.

Sorry can't help with question as don't know myself yet.. but sounds like another excuse for your OH to create another master piece! :lol:

I have read others with same issue though so sure you will useful advice soon!

I did return your pm by the way so hope you got it ok :D

Mine 'surf' and fall off the ladder coming down - I haven't seen them go up yet - my youngest put them to bed the last couple of nights, I went out to do it last night and hooray they had put themselves to bed :lol: What clever girls they are! Mind you had to go out again and re-check that they were all inside the cube :wink:

I was so impressed I even texted my husband to let him know!

Mine all find it quite difficult getting up, and my Cochin finds it difficult getting down as well. But they manage it, and I reckon that they don't get many challenges in their life, so it is not doing them any harm.

I would only consider putting in a ramp if they weren't managing it. The fact that the ladder is off the ground gives them more living space.

none of our girls have grasped the ladder - not even my most agile cuckoo maran chook (and she's a very active "light" hen).

IMO the rungs are too wide apart. We have used a homemade wooden ladder from day one. I think my old rescue girl would do herself an injury if she tried it.

My speckledy can't get up the ladders - she has wonky feet and walks like she is pigeon-toed, and really struggled. Most of the others managed, some better than others, flapping their clipped wings madly. Going up appears to be much harder than coming down. My suffolk blacktail just sails up and down - mind you she can fly despite her wings being well and truly clipped :? . In the end we made also made a wooden ramp that sits over the ladders and comes down to ground level and this seems to be a much better solution for them.

They have always taken themselves off to bed though without any need to read the instructions, or any human intervention, even before ramps were installed. I just didn't like to see them struggling.

Been thinking about what Olly said about not being able to grip on the ladder rungs.

Perhaps you could superglue some non slip rubber to the rungs! I've got some non slip matting (designed for a boot of a car etc).

Hmm maybe they'd try and peck it off?!